Habitat - Outdoor :: Outdoor Tanks in Tropical Countries

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:22 am   Outdoor Tanks in Tropical Countries

Hi everyone!

I was planning to set up a tank outside of my house and since I live in the Philippines, do I still have to purchase a UVB lamp?The location will be hit directly by the sun and the temperature of the climate here is pretty much the temperature that most guides (I think even the one here) specify their UVB lamps to be. We usually have 93-88 degrees around here.
Johannihilate

Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:30 am   Re: Outdoor Tanks in Tropical Countries

Hello fellow Pinoy! What is your enclosure made of? As far as I know, glass and acrylic can heat up fairly quickly, therefore also heating the water. To entice the turtles to bask, the basking area temperature should be at least 10 degrees higher than the water temp. Natural sunlight is the recommended source of UVB and heat, so there's no need to purchase the lamps, as long as they can get easy access to the rays, and may be able to duck/dive back into the water for a quick dip or drink. The best option is building a pond enclosure. How big is (are) your turtle(s)? oh, and welcome to the forum! :)
FAREWELL DUMBORK
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36799

follow my blog: dumbork.wordpress.com
youtube: pawii29

pictures and video
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32931
dumbork14

Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:00 pm   Re: Outdoor Tanks in Tropical Countries

Welcome to the forum! I agree with dumbork. Also check out what we call stock tanks, which make great enclosures.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:46 pm   Re: Outdoor Tanks in Tropical Countries

Thanks!

My turtle is still around 2 1/4 inches. My tank is just made of glass, I was thinking about making a pond but I don't really have the space for that.

And about those stock tanks? I don't know.... there are a lot of cats where I live, are you sure they won't try to scoop up my turtle?
Johannihilate

Post Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:55 am   Re: Outdoor Tanks in Tropical Countries

Well, you could always try a screen. I've read that some forum members here also have cats, so far I haven't read any problems with turtles and cats cohabiting. Post some pictures! :)
FAREWELL DUMBORK
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36799

follow my blog: dumbork.wordpress.com
youtube: pawii29

pictures and video
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32931
dumbork14

Post Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:40 am   Re: Outdoor Tanks in Tropical Countries

A screen is highly recommended. Garden centers will have materials you can use to cover the tank, like hardware cloth.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:11 am   Re: Outdoor Tanks in Tropical Countries

Woot! Got everything set up already. I have another question, it gets pretty hot in the afternoon but Kai has his water, Is it alright to have the sun rays directly at him ? Or do I need an umbrella on him?
Johannihilate

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:30 am   Re: Outdoor Tanks in Tropical Countries

There, is this enough or too much direct sunlight? The heat coming from the sun in the Philippines is what would come from a UVB light.
If the image is too big here's a URL for the browser
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/976105_542673205774978_1827774480_o.jpg

Johannihilate

Post Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:19 am   Re: Outdoor Tanks in Tropical Countries

Get a thermometer and measure the temperatures every 15 minutes. It will still likely be too warm for the Philippine weather.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:49 pm   Re: Outdoor Tanks in Tropical Countries

Good luck! I think you should.
Turtles:
Dexter (RES)
Shelby (RES - gone and I feel really really bad).
Miracle (Box Turtle - Given to me after Shelby left us).
Orion (Mississippi Map Turtle).
AlexisAwesome

Return to Habitat - Outdoor