Habitat - Outdoor :: Moving indoor turtle to outdoor

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:15 am   Moving indoor turtle to outdoor

Hi! My uncle has a giant pond outside his house where another RES has lived for a while. It broke my heart to see it basking on a big rock and jumping into the pond, while my turtle (6in about) is confined to a tank. I was considering moving her out to his pond, but seeing as we live in ohio, it means shed have to survive the winter. Any ideas? Is this an all around bad idea?
2 RES: Captain Spaulding & Otis Driftwood
1 YBS: Princess Baby Firefly
1 Kitten: Tiny
proud turtle & kitty mommy :)
Supcwall

Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:03 am   Re: Moving indoor turtle to outdoor

Never had an outdoor pond. I would put them back in the tank in winter then put them out of the tank after winter or when the water heats up again.
Turtles:
Dexter (RES)
Shelby (RES - gone and I feel really really bad).
Miracle (Box Turtle - Given to me after Shelby left us).
Orion (Mississippi Map Turtle).
AlexisAwesome

Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:05 pm   Re: Moving indoor turtle to outdoor

The only problem is that the pond is HUGE and I doubt I could get her back inside
2 RES: Captain Spaulding & Otis Driftwood
1 YBS: Princess Baby Firefly
1 Kitten: Tiny
proud turtle & kitty mommy :)
Supcwall

Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:44 pm   Re: Moving indoor turtle to outdoor

She'll be safer and well kept for with you.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:15 am   Re: Moving indoor turtle to outdoor

I disagree, if the other turtle has been living there for a while, it is obvious that it is a suitable pond for hibernation. RES can hibernate in canada, ohio should be no problem, so long as it's deep enough to not freeze solid. RES have been seen swimming under the ice, so they can handle cold periods quite well. The only concern I would have, is if the pond is not fenced in, and your turtle decided to wonder off. Turtles NEVER lose the instinct to hibernate, you could keep her inside for 30 years and she'd be fine.
justatwinturbo

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:24 pm   Re: Moving indoor turtle to outdoor

justatwinturbo wrote:I disagree, if the other turtle has been living there for a while, it is obvious that it is a suitable pond for hibernation. RES can hibernate in canada, ohio should be no problem, so long as it's deep enough to not freeze solid. RES have been seen swimming under the ice, so they can handle cold periods quite well. The only concern I would have, is if the pond is not fenced in, and your turtle decided to wonder off. Turtles NEVER lose the instinct to hibernate, you could keep her inside for 30 years and she'd be fine.

Not hibernation, they just become less active.
Turtles:
Dexter (RES)
Shelby (RES - gone and I feel really really bad).
Miracle (Box Turtle - Given to me after Shelby left us).
Orion (Mississippi Map Turtle).
AlexisAwesome

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:24 pm   Re: Moving indoor turtle to outdoor

huh?
justatwinturbo

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:18 am   Re: Moving indoor turtle to outdoor

justatwinturbo wrote:I disagree, if the other turtle has been living there for a while, it is obvious that it is a suitable pond for hibernation. RES can hibernate in canada, ohio should be no problem, so long as it's deep enough to not freeze solid. RES have been seen swimming under the ice, so they can handle cold periods quite well. The only concern I would have, is if the pond is not fenced in, and your turtle decided to wonder off. Turtles NEVER lose the instinct to hibernate, you could keep her inside for 30 years and she'd be fine.

I absolutely agree, though my point was that the she should not feel guilty for not providing a pond. Her turtle can be healthy and happy (so to speak) with her too.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:59 am   Re: Moving indoor turtle to outdoor

that, i can agree with
justatwinturbo

Return to Habitat - Outdoor