Habitat - Outdoor :: Need lots of help! First time turtle mom

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:58 am   Need lots of help! First time turtle mom

Hi everyone! My brother found what we think to be a Eastern Painted turtle. I'll post pictures later and maybe someone can confirm. We have about a 100 gallon outdoor pond with 2 cascades that we would like to place him in. My mom passed away in March and she was the one in charge of the pond, which is loved dearly. We could not find a part to her old filter so we went and bought a new one. The water was not clearing the and we were losing about half the water daily. I insisted something was wrong but of course he insisted nothing was wrong. Men, hmph! Turns out we bought just a Waterfall pump.
Does anyone have any advice on what is the best filter that can be found at either Lowes or Home Depot? When we went to purchase the new filter, NO ONE knew how to help us. Thanks so much, as soon as I found this website I knew you guys would be the ones to ask. I am SO jealous of some of the ponds I've seen so far.
leonardok1

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:51 pm   Re: Need lots of help! First time turtle mom

How big is the turtle? If it's a yearling or adult, I would try to return it to it's home. I don't know too much about pond filters, hopefully someone can chime in. Sorry to hear about your mom :(
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:22 pm   Re: Need lots of help! First time turtle mom

For turtles you need a heavier filter if its a 100 gallon pond you would need your filteration to be atleast for a 200 gallon pond. There are plenty of options. Google DIY skippy filter that is a cheap but effective option. You can also browse other users threads in this forum to get an idea of what would work best for you.
talal

Return to Habitat - Outdoor