Habitat - Outdoor :: Predators etc.

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:55 pm   Predators etc.

I would build a outdoor habitat for my turtle for the summer in a heartbeat but I'm scared of predators and her escaping.

I have had Yaddle since 2005. She is currently in a 100+ gallon tank with a top top level I built for basking. Her shell is about 8" long.

The idea of building an outdoor area for her has always intrigued me but the idea of predators and her escaping keep me from going through with it. I know there are raccoon and a lot of hawks around here. I just wonder if she is big enough where predator concerns aren't as much as an issue.

I also wonder is she will grow more in a bigger pond and will then become too big for her tank. I can't get a bigger tank....

Any advice, thoughts would be helpful. I would hate to build something for her just to have a bad outcome.

Thank you!

Yaddle

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:37 pm   Re: Predators etc.

She probably won't get much bigger. How does she react to being outside? My RES refused to bask in outdoor enclosures, probably because it was only for a few hours at a time. What about something temporary, like a kiddie pool for her to try out?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:18 pm   Re: Predators etc.

I haven't put her in a little outdoor pool since she was a baby. I never saw her bask back then, but it was only for a couple of days. I think she would have to really get acclimated to being in a new habitat to feel comfortable enough to bask. Yes, I would hate to spend the time and money on something she wouldn't use. It would be a lot to chance. That's another variable I hadn't considered. Thanks. I just want to do more for her sometimes, get her outside some I guess... not sure what to do. thanks again
Yaddle

Post Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:01 pm   Re: Predators etc.

An above ground pond... something like a stock tank would be my route. It can be decorated very nicely and imo easier to protect. It will take some time, but I think it's doable.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:48 pm   Re: Predators etc.

Off topic, but I love the old school boombox!
devilduck

Post Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:28 am   Re: Predators etc.

I agree with Steve, Stock tanks work perfect and are easy to protect.

My stock tank. I just keep a screen over basking area.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
Diamondbacks4Life

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:34 pm   Re: Predators etc. (6' x 2' tank / 400 gallons)

OK. I think I'm going to build an outdoor habitat this Spring using a 6' x 2' , 400 gal tank

http://afence.com/store/6-X2-RND.TANK395GAL.html

But I have no idea what to do about filtration.

help! :mrgreen:
Yaddle

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:39 pm   Re: Predators etc.

Many use pond filters or design their own. Most canister filters aren't made to handle 400 gallons.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:50 pm   Re: Predators etc.

Thank you. Do you you know if there are different kinds of pond filters for animals? Any ideas what to get for 400 gal + 1 RES?
Yaddle

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:59 pm   Re: Predators etc.

Diamondbacks4Life wrote:I agree with Steve, Stock tanks work perfect and are easy to protect.

My stock tank. I just keep a screen over basking area.

Great idea! You just use this sometimes in the summer? Can the screen be a little larger?
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:48 pm   Re: Predators etc.

Pond filters will vary, I don't think I know enough about them to make any recommendations. Usually you have to pick up a filter and a pump as they usually come separate. You'll also need to make sure it can't accidentally trap your RES.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor