Habitat - Outdoor :: How to get Natural Logs? No Pun Intended.

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:43 pm   How to get Natural Logs? No Pun Intended.

The title says it all! I'm looking to upgrade to a larger "pond" (a large RubberMaid Stock Tank), and from what I've seen, it has no built-in places that would suit a basking spot. Given its length, I'd really like to put in a basking log, for the turtles' use. I just can't seem to think of a place where I could get a clean, pond-friendly log (since taking "wild" driftwood is illegal). I'd appreciate it if some log-owners could share their wood sources!

Thank you in advance, for your suggestions!
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:23 pm   Re: How to get Natural Logs? No Pun Intended.

I saw a few threads where owners created basking platforms out of driftwood and corkbark rounds. Do a search for corkbark.
devilduck

Post Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:18 pm   Re: How to get Natural Logs? No Pun Intended.

That sucks, so you would have to buy some?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:27 am   Re: How to get Natural Logs? No Pun Intended.

I use a cork bark log for a basking area. It's made by Zoo Med and I got it at Petco, which had the best selection of it that I had seen at regular pet stores. You can also get it online at Amazon and other online stores, but I always like to see what I'm getting up close. Zoo Med also makes cork bark flats. The nice part about cork bark is that it's wide, easy for the turtle to climb up on and it floats. Since it floats, it also adjusts easily to the water level.

You might try aquarium stores for driftwood. The stores around me have some pretty nice pieces. I almost went that route, but my turtle really likes stretching out when he's basking, so I wanted to get a wide surface for him.
annar

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:29 pm   Re: How to get Natural Logs? No Pun Intended.

it's illegal to take home a piece of driftwood????? now i've heard everything. Makes you wonder what kind of monkeys are sitting behind the desk, deciding what should, and shouldnt be illegal.
justatwinturbo

Post Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:52 pm   Re: How to get Natural Logs? No Pun Intended.

Thank you all for the replies--Yep, I would have to buy it. The places that I've seen charge an unnecessarily large amount of money, for them.

Luckily, a family friend is going to cut down a large pine tree in her front yard, and offered me some large branches. Hopefully, that will work.
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:56 am   Re: How to get Natural Logs? No Pun Intended.

I don't recommend pine, it can leech sap and pine oil into your tank.

Check your local craigslist or fish club, you can get driftwood cheap used from another hobbyist.
devilduck

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:03 pm   Re: How to get Natural Logs? No Pun Intended.

Thanks for the heads-up, devilduck! What about hardwoods (i.e., maple and oak)? If those don't work, then I'm thinking that I may just use a wide piece of plywood (each end would touch an edge in the pond).
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:52 pm   Re: How to get Natural Logs? No Pun Intended.

Plywood layers are glued together with who knows what types of glue. I don't think I'd recommend that.

I can't comment about hardwoods.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:02 am   Re: How to get Natural Logs? No Pun Intended.

I would check local gardening stores if you need a piece that large. I also agree about plywood... you don't want that near water.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:03 pm   Re: How to get Natural Logs? No Pun Intended.

Ugh! My neighbor gave me these, but they're from a fir tree...Is there ANY possible way to make them pond-friendly (i.e., keeping them dry for a year, de-barking, and then sanding)?
This is really frustrating, since these are the perfect shape!!! (especially the second one--it would be great to hang over a pond edge).

Jeremiah

Post Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:57 pm   Re: How to get Natural Logs? No Pun Intended.

Well, fir/pine is generally a no. I guess it won't hurt to soak it for a few months, then sun bleach it to see how it holds up. I wouldn't use it if it produces anything oily or the wood becomes soft.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:26 pm   Re: How to get Natural Logs? No Pun Intended.

So, would you recommend soaking over letting it dry up over the next year? Or is there some sort of soaking/drying balance that I should aim for?
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:27 am   Re: How to get Natural Logs? No Pun Intended.

From what I've read, you'd want to soak it as much as possible.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:20 pm   Re: How to get Natural Logs? No Pun Intended.

Good news/final update! I came into possession of some large hardwood branches, so my new plan is to let those stay in the pond, as a "bridge" to the flatter fir logs, which I can put fully on land. Thank you, everyone, for your help!
Jeremiah

Next

Return to Habitat - Outdoor