Habitat - Outdoor :: Outdoor water temp

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:30 pm   Outdoor water temp

So I got Yaddle set up outdoor in above-ground 400 gal stack tank filled about 3/4 way. I put her out last weekend.

Usually in Houston the weather is warmer by now but a cool front just came in. I'm concerned about her water temperature. The water is showing 60 degree F.

I have seen her have her head poke aobve water but she is mostly staying underwater in a big plant pot I put in for her.

I also have 2 200W water heaters I could use (if I can find the other one) but I'm not sure about having them plugged in outside.

Any advice?

Thank you

Here is the forecast for the week

Wed
Clear
72°63°

Thu
Chance of Showers
73°64°

Fri
Partly Cloudy
81°64°

Sat
Chance of Storm
82°70°

Sun
Partly Cloudy
82°66°
Mon

Chance of Storm
82°70°

Tue
Chance of Storm
86°70°

Wed
Clear
86°72°
Last edited by Yaddle on Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yaddle

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:34 pm   Re: Outdoor water temp

Has she always been an indoor turtle? Is she basking at all?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:35 pm   Re: Outdoor water temp

Yes, she have been indoors since 2006. I haven't seen her bask yet.
Yaddle

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:46 pm   Re: Outdoor water temp

Is she eating and still active? It's not a big temp drop for an older turtle to handle but I guess she wants to be eased into it. A heater can be used outside (must be in a GFCi). Whats the basking area like? Does she swim up to you when you approach?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:01 pm   Re: Outdoor water temp

Whenever I put mine outside they always hide in the water. They just aren't used to being outside. I am hoping that they will get comfortable enough to start basking this year.
rana

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:38 pm   Re: Outdoor water temp

We have two RES that we were gifted with a few months ago. Previously we had one RES for some 15 years. With the new turtles, we have been letting them go outside in a child's plastic pool which is right outside our glass door so we can watch over them when they are out there. They seem to like more space to swim around, and we like the fact they do their eating and pooping out there. It's easy to empty the pool with a bucket part way and then just flip it afterwards.

What I'd like to know, is can they still go out there in the winter [less time of course, but to do the eat-and-poop] provided the water is heated. If so what temp. does the water need to be and what type of heater do we need to purchase?

Thank you!
Jeanette

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:08 am   Re: Outdoor water temp

How cold does it get and how big are the turtles? Do the turtles bask out there and does any sun light reach the pool?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor