Habitat - Outdoor :: kiddy pool

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:06 pm   kiddy pool

I was wondering if it would be alright if this summer for a little bit to put my turtle in a kiddypool. That way he can get sun rays and be outside in the fresh air. I would be out there in the yard with him i would never leave him alone he likes to attept to get out and explore and plus cats seem to hae taken a liking to him.

I'd have him outside in a pool with some shade and enough water for him to swim and have a rock so he can bask in any ideas of what i could do for him?
College_Turtle

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:10 am   That Sounds great!

I luv the idea of a kiddi pool! I would have one myself, but my mom says it would look to trashy. As long as it's warm enough outside, your turt should be fine. You can just leave your turt out ther as long as you cover the top with a net of some sort (for birds and cats). My cat loved my turtle too. My cat loved to just watch my turtle run around in the grass. Cats Are so curious!

I am just changing the color around cuse i like too!
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:17 pm   

oh yeah frisky my cat thinks Ish ka is a moving rock. she'll just wach him walk around she's a very odd cat. I know it will get pretty warm for him. it'll get up in the 70s 80s and 90s so he'll have a great time in the pool.
College_Turtle

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:58 pm   

I had my RES in a kiddy pool last summer during the day and it worked fine. Aside from the shade, I had a place for him to hide under (a basking area he could get under, something like a stepping stool with a flat rock on it, for example). Adding a few aquatic plants he could nibble on would be good as well (but could get messy).

If your turtle is small, and you can't be there to supervise all the time, attaching a covering (a screen with larger holes, hardware cloth, for example) might be a good idea to help protect him from predators.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:17 pm   

I almost set up my kiddy pool for the squad today, but the temp is going to drop back down tomorrow.. I bought an extra pool at Big Lots this past week for 13.88 it is an 8 ft round! I am hinting (very subtley NOT!) at the daughters that I need another Pondmaster 1500. So their dear old mom doesn't kill herself dumping the pool this year.
Hubby wants me to wait until after the holiday to set up the pool and since it is only 1 week away I'll defer to him.
Scooter (10") & B.C.(11") both female.
150 gal with 2 Pondmaster 1500s
soopermum62

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:02 pm   

LOL thats cool my little baby seems to like the pool. We also let him out and wonder around in the grass he wants to go to the road though he's crazy. I have a little platform for him to get up on he swims around alot he's very hyper active. i've seen most turtles be hyper and then when you get home they do nothing but not Ish Ka he keeps going and going
College_Turtle

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:02 pm   Outdoors

You checked to see if maybe you turt ate a couple of Energizer Batteries?
G :D :D eorge
Oldturtle72

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:34 pm   

lol yes i have checked him. He doesn't have batteries. He's a sweet little guy. I'm teaching him to get food from my hand and im doing really good with it. he loves the pool. he swims all the time in it. then he'll get tired and onto the basking area or under it depending on how he feels.
College_Turtle

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:37 pm   Outdoor

I'm just about to set up my old 4 foot kiddie pool for the little RES that I bought for my GGSon. I have the little 1/2 dollar sized turt in the 265 gallon basement winter pond and he's all by himself except for the company of a young Eastern Painted Turtle, a plant basket of cattails that I'm starting, a couple bunches of Anachris and floating Water Hyacinth and floating Water Lettuce that I don,t want to put in the outdoor pond because the nights are still too cold. My 7 turts are there and are enjoying it . They are a bit sluggish in the morning and swimming and coming to greet me is all in slow motion. The morning sun soon warms them up and then I feed them. They have Lillies and Anachris to munch on and every day they get a new supply of either Romain or Redleaf Lettuce. I have a bunch of flat sand stone slabs that I will form to make a cave and basking area in the pool. Same setup I had when I got Fred and Wilma (RESs) in June of 03. Used a square of 1/2 mesh over the pool to keep the Jays at bay. Will use it over this one also, just as a precaution. George :D :D
Oldturtle72

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:13 pm   

that sounds cool. Minne like the pool now he's really comfortable with it. the only problem he has is the traffic we live near the road and he doesn't like the sounds of the cars going by it scares him. he loves to bask in the sun. he falls asleep all the time its so cute this will be a great summer for him im sure.
College_Turtle

Return to Habitat - Outdoor