Habitat - Outdoor :: Temporary Outdoor Hangout?

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:24 am   Temporary Outdoor Hangout?

So, I've got these two turtles. They are living mostly in a 55 gallon tank indoors. But a little fresh air and sunlight is important for everybody.

I'm planning to pick up a plastic kiddie pool for them to hang out in. Will this be deep enough for them to enjoy swimming in? Can I fill it straight from the hose? How deep should I fill it? Should I get one with a slide?
figment

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:45 am   Re: Temporary Outdoor Hangout?

Most kiddie pools should be deep enough, but you'll need to provide supervision. You'll want the water level to be as much as possible in case they flip over. You can use the hose, though I'd run the water for a minute or so before you fill up the pool. In general, I'd avoid using a garden hose but this is only temporary. I don't think you need the slide.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:41 pm   Re: Temporary Outdoor Hangout?

It will probably be only for a couple of hours a couple afternoons a week. Absolutely supervised. They're only about as big as my palm, and we have lots of big birds. I don't know if any of them are turtle eating birds, but I do know I don't want to find out.

Why don't you recommend using a garden hose? What would you normally recommend instead?
figment

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:54 pm   Re: Temporary Outdoor Hangout?

A garden hose is usually not for potable water, meaning not for drinking. They are cheap, so lots of chemicals are used to make them last as long as possible. I do think you can use it temporarily. As for alternative, there are more expensive hoses and I use clear tubing at home.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor