Habitat - Outdoor :: Hello and question

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:12 am   Hello and question

Hi,
I'm new here.. I live in AZ , Mohave desert area.. I have a rather large pond in my back yard and have had a seven year old res that's about 12" in size.. He's very happy n healthy living in his 450-500 gallon pond. He basks on his log, and plays with all the koi and gold fish... My husband bought me a girl res today we named Eevee ,the pet shop told him we could just release her in the pond. When we did she was swimming around having a blast chasing the fish and even jiggly. But, I went to feed them and noticed I can't find her anywhere... She's about 4-5" and in really good shape , but has been raised in a pet store.
The pond is surrounded by large boulders and has a shallow end / deep end and waterfall. Lots of hiding spots too.. I don't think she'd be able to climb out as jiggly never has... But I can not find her! Could she be just hiding? Because of the new environment?
I have had jiggly puff hide for a couple days, since he's used to being alone and outside he does like to hide during the day as its hot and I see him at night... I went looking tonight for Eevee but no luck.. Any advice?
I did place their lettuce out and some fresh shrimp too..
Thanks for the help.. I'll post some pics of the pond soon..
Tambra
2 res
1 female name is Eevee
1 male name is jiggly puff
Jiggly puff

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:20 am   Re: Hello and question

Welcome to the forum! If the RES is 12", then you have a she. It's possible the new turtle is hiding, but she still needs to breath and you should see her pop her nose/head up. You might even see bubbles if she's frantically swimming.

Never underestimate their ability to escape. They are stronger than you think and can be very determined. Is your back yard fenced?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:43 am   Re: Hello and question

My back yard is block walled, with a tight fencing that are on the sides... But it's a long ways away from the pond, she would have to travel a real distance to escape.. One side is fenced in real tight the othe is on the opposite side and has blocks in the front of it... My lager turtle has never even tried to escape! Not once ... I was told it was a boy ( jiggly puff) but he's been in the water so long I really can't get him to find out.. He likes to hide in a cave I made him out of slate and some planters.. And he stretches out on his long to bask... I do see bubbles sometimes coming from under the waterfall, and there are a lot of natural rocks under it for her to hide.. We looked all over.. I really don't think she could escape.. I'm sure we would have seen her.. I'm hoping she's just hiding... I just love them so... And hubby wanted jiggly to have a friend..
Tambra
2 res
1 female name is Eevee
Jiggly puff

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:25 am   Re: Hello and question

Maybe a video camera can be setup to record the pond and you'll see her pop up? I hope you see her too.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:17 am   Re: Hello and question

Hi Steve !!!
I've found her :) they both are hiding in the little cave I made jiggly.. I'modting pictures of them both.. They were out basking today on the same log...
Thank you for your help and guidance! Live this website! I'm finding so much helpful info :msgreen: :mrgreen:
Seems the file is too big to upload my pic.. I'll try it alone
Tambra
2 res
1 female name is Eevee
Jiggly puff

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:58 am   Re: Hello and question

Awesome to hear! You can always email it to me if it's not working and I'll post it for you.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor