Habitat - Outdoor :: Outdoor Temps and a When to Bring Indoors?

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:24 pm   Outdoor Temps and a When to Bring Indoors?

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to owning turtles and earlier this Spring rescued two 8" Red Ear Slider Turtles. I added them to my 8000 thousand gallon koi pond, and they have been very happy all summer. I live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and I am wondering at what temperature (water and ambient air) should I be thinking of bringing my turtles indoors? I normally bring my koi indoors sometime in October, but at that time of year here water temps are in the low 50's and evenings can be cold with frost... Can my two turtles survive outside until then?

Here is a pic of their home.

Chris
:)
Attachments
image.jpg
Koidaddy

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:00 pm   Re: Outdoor Temps and a When to Bring Indoors?

Wow, that's an incredible looking pond Chris! Since these are older RES, I would bring them in before it drops to the mid-60s. While RES can brumate is colder temps, I would not let them wind down if they're only going to go inside later. If these RES have brumated before, are healthy, and your setup is ready for it, then you can let them do that.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor