Habitat - Outdoor :: Outdoor heat lamp???

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:25 pm   Outdoor heat lamp???

Good afternoon everyone,

I live in CA and I have a 100 gallon tank that is outside for my two red eared sliders. I just built an above the tank basking area for them to be able to fill the tank up all the way and not have them escape. My question is with winter coming up I didn't know if I needed to get a basking light for them or not. I know a lot of people talk about there turtles hibernating in the winter but I don't think it really gets cold enough here for that so I wanted to make sure it they need a lamp that I give them one. My concern is that if I buy a basking light how do I keep it from breaking if say it's really foggy or raining or something like that. I plan to build a type of roof that would go over the basking light to protect against rain but I don't know what will happen if it's foggy. Any help would be amazing. Thank you in advance.
Tomtom1219

Post Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:04 pm   Re: Outdoor heat lamp???

It'll depend on the actual temperatures. A submersible heater would be a requirement but on a side note, is this an actual glass aquarium or different kind of tank?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor