Habitat - Outdoor :: Keeping aquarium tank outdoors?

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:53 pm   Keeping aquarium tank outdoors?

Hello!

I'm a preschool teacher and relative newbie to the world of turtles. I have a family childcare home and we've just adopted a pet red eared slider the was lost in our neighborhood. We're lucky to have an excellent local reptile shop where we got lots of information about setting up a space for our new friend. For now, he's in a 30 gallon aquarium all decked out with a filter pump and heat lamp, eating a balanced diet and doing great!

My question is whether or not I can safely keep the aquarium set up outside. I live in Santa Cruz, California, where the weather is mild year round (about 70F average) and my backyard is a covered deck. We're out there everyday, so the children would still be able to observe and learn about this little dude, and help with its care. Anyone have experience with this, or thoughts about the logistics? I understand that an outdoor pond set up would be ideal (and maybe someday we can make that happen!), but what about using a standard aquarium outdoors? My main concerns are temperature and potential predators. I've never had a raccoon in the yard, but skunks have been known to visit.

Thanks for your advice!
honaleeRES

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:11 am   Re: Keeping aquarium tank outdoors?

This will be in an enclosed area the whole time?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:50 pm   Re: Keeping aquarium tank outdoors?

Yes, the backyard is closed in with a fence and the aquarium itself has a screen top.
honaleeRES

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:49 pm   Re: Keeping aquarium tank outdoors?

It might be OK, provided predators can't reach it plus I would be worried about direct sunlight reaching the tank.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor