Habitat - Outdoor :: Working on an outdoor pond...

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:08 pm   Working on an outdoor pond...

Just wanted to share a picture of the outdoor pond project I just started. Any ideas for turtle-fying it would be welcomed.
Attachments
outdoor pond smaller.jpg
timmytommytutu

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:49 pm   Re: Working on an outdoor pond...

Are you going to have a fence around pond only or you will give some land space around pond. Any fence should be buried several inches in ground. Turtle are the best escape artist. Very fast too ! Not only can they climb well they are great diggers. When I had my pond at the other house I made mud pads /platforms out the pond and placed very large pieces of slate hanging over the water with a heavy rock on outside on that pad . Like a diving board but solid. Had several around pond. Landscaping , plant's to hang over water also offers shade to. Fountain grass looks good and it very tough. My Minnie never used her nesting area but always between my bench and the fountain grass.
You must offer several different temperature range's even outside so they don't cook in full sun all the time. Live plants ( floating) in pond will help too. Depending where you live with full sun are you going to build any type of arbor for the pond and that bench for you to enjoy.
Look's good , wish my new home had outdoor pond. Just health and age is stopping me.

What about any predators ... even neighbors dog ?
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:46 pm   Re: Working on an outdoor pond...

Thanks so much for the ideas. Do you happen to have a picture of your old pond? I am planning on a fence, rocks and lots of plants. I have started the "diving board" rocks around the edge but I am not happy with the look and it needs some tweaking. I want to plant lots of Japanese fountain grass around the pond and I will have lily pads, cattails, cannas, etc... It is hot as hell here, pardon the French, so I will have do figure out something for shade. I am making a little beach for them because I think she will be laying eggs in a month. Predators don't come into our yard because we have seven dogs. Six of my dogs sleep inside the house at night and don't bother the turtles, chickens, during the day... but I would hope my fence will keep them out, just in case one gets too curious. My hound would kill any other animal that came in the yard at night.
Attachments
17861726_10209478834432344_7041251354481330992_n.jpg
17861726_10209478834432344_7041251354481330992_n.jpg (64.41 KiB) Viewed 14602 times
timmytommytutu

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:45 pm   Re: Working on an outdoor pond...

Wish I did ! 2005 Hurricane Katrina took my pond along with 7 RES's between the ages 4-23 years old. I lost that , my house , jeep , never found my boat and everything a family could have BUT our lives. Went to Tennessee! Not fun trying to start one's life over at 50. Two Hospital's and a forensic lab was recovering photos for free , was overwhelmed and stopped. Even if they kept it up my name was on the list for years latter. I could not afford to have it done out of pocket. Bottom line at 50 we started life over. Never was one for computer's (old school) and since then all photo's backed up on the cloud ! Hell , hope I never go through that again or anyone! Great for the memories we have !
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:00 pm   Re: Working on an outdoor pond...

Oh, no. I am so sorry. I am from SE Texas so Ike was the big one over here, however, I was living in Wyoming at the time. I cannot imagine!
timmytommytutu

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:05 pm   Re: Working on an outdoor pond...

Twelve years later just have to laugh and joke ...if not we would still cry!
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:13 am   Re: Working on an outdoor pond...

Looks very nice! Does it being blue make them more visible to predators? The lights are a nice touch!
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor