Habitat - Outdoor :: Better off outdoors?

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:53 am   Better off outdoors?

Hi everyone, I'm new the forums having got 2 baby sliders this week. Currently I'm keeping them indoors in an aquarium in which I've provided a basking area, hiding place and also a combined lamp.

However, I live in Indonesia which has a lovely year round tropical climate. I've put the tank on my balcony this morning and they seem much happier outdoors as its nice and warm and receives sunlight for most of the day.

So I'm curious to know would it be ok to keep them outdoors permanently in a habitat made from a rubbermaid type plastic box instead of indoors in an aquarium?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
shadowindo

Post Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:57 am   Re: Better off outdoors?

Outdoors would be best, but how much space would they get? They still need shade, basking area, etc.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:30 am   Re: Better off outdoors?

Thanks Steve. At the moment I'm looking at a plastic tub that measures around 100cm long x 50cm wide x 40cm high. The quick design I've made allows for a basking area, a shaded area, hiding areas and plenty of swimming space.
shadowindo

Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:39 pm   Re: Better off outdoors?

Is that area just for water? Can your balcony support that amount of water? Your measurements indicate about 200 litres which is about 200 kg of water.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:00 am   Re: Better off outdoors?

The weight issue is not a problem. That's the whole size of the container. Any larger and I'd have to look at an above ground koi tank/vat which are readily available here. At the moment, the guys are around 1.5 inches a piece.
shadowindo

Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:59 pm   Re: Better off outdoors?

Just keep in mind that you will likely have to separate them once they are a bit more mature.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:21 am   Re: Better off outdoors?

Ok thanks Steve. I've found an above ground KOI vat locally. Theres enough space on my balcony for 2 habitats when they get a bit larger. I'll post some pictures when the habitat is ready in 2 weeks.
shadowindo

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:49 pm   Re: Better off outdoors?

OK, great. Can't wait to check it out :)
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor