Habitat - Outdoor :: Can water bugs harm my RES?

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:05 am   

yup they can get out of a lotta things,glad you had a pond next door(does your aunt have the water bugs too?
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:58 pm   

NO, that is what we don't understand. Her pond is right next to ours. Since we are family we took the fence down between us so her sons can swim if we arent' home. She doesn't have any fish or turtles in her pond. We used plants we pulled from some marshy areas and can't get it to clear up. Pokey was in there for about a week before we found him!
melissa4324

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:37 pm   

Oh how I happy I am that I live in a land locked state!!
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
soomc

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:08 pm   

lol i am in california and we dont have any bug problems.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:06 pm   

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what the crapppp what cind of bug is that and i would neally go with sraykingfisher"S idea"s heavy dutysmashwithboot and fast acting armflailingscreaming i live in the city ariginaly but i spend my summers in the wild [in the middle of no were] and ive never seen 1 but i want to no ive seen leaches on turts what about that?
is there a chance that my tank is getting to cold?
systemofadown_s8trchic

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:45 pm   

Just a thought: I was letting my husband read this tonight because me and my daughter got such a kick out of all the funny ways to try and rid your pond of the mutant bugs. Not that we didn't feel bad for you, but it was rather funny. Anyway, he suggested citronella oil or a citronella plant (it's in the geranium family). It's a biopesticide that is commonly used to repel many kinds of insects and pests. We've used the oil to keep the neighbors dogs out of our yard and I have a plant in my herb garden out back to help with mosquitos by the patio. It really does work for those two instances. You would have to do some reasearch to make sure it wouldn't hurt the turtles though. The scent is what is supposed to repel the pests. Here is a link from the epa about it,

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/biopestic ... t-oils.htm

Hope this might help.
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:15 pm   

Luckily my turts appear to be eating them. All I know is the pond thing turned out to be a huge project. The turts were escaping so we had to fence them in. THen the water was getting too hot and we had to put an awning over the top. It looks great now but there was so much work. And those damn bugs gave me nightmares for weeks! I hate bugs and the fact that my turts were surrounded by them gave me the willies! But they are getting big enough and the bug population keeps dropping. And yes the suggestions were great! Kept me alaughing!
melissa4324

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:35 am   

Wondered what happened to you. :) Glad to hear your turtles are enjoying the bugs and not getting harmed by them. Any pics of the awning-covered pond?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:39 am   

Yeah, I'd love to see pictures of your pond. :D :D
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:36 pm   

me 2
Daniel's Turtle

Previous

Return to Habitat - Outdoor