Habitat - Outdoor :: Questions

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:11 pm   Questions

Hello everyone,
I have 2 RES that we just moved out to my horse-trough pond a couple of weeks ago. I have them in with some goldfish that about 3-4ins long. They have rocks to climb on and a turtle dock that both ignore. One of the questions is, I have heard that the turtles won't bother the fish and than I saw the post about them not getting along, why do they not get along? My turtles have never eaten any fish that I had put in with them. Also, I am using a pool filter right now that seems to be doing a great job (no chemicals involved). I will be putting all the animals in the larger tank once I get it here from where I used to have the horses.
Another question is, they are about 4-5ins long, about how old are they?
Cara
Life is full of ups and downs, what a rollercoaster ride.
caramarie

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:04 pm   

Anything in the same container as your turtles is potential food for them. Some turtles and fish coexist peacefully, according to their owners. But as your turtles grow, and if they're hungry, well, there's a pretty good chance that your turtles will regard the fish as something other than buddies. A large tank/container and hiding places for the fish increases their chances of continuing to swim around.

They're shell lengths not including the curve are that long? How big were they when you got them? How long have you had them? Without knowing when they hatched determining age, determining the age reliably is difficult to say the least. Size is also determined by other factors, including diet and warmth.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:27 pm   

Biscuit is 4ins long and I got him in December from a pet store. Gravy is 5ins long and I got her about 2 weeks ago, from a different pet store since the ones at the first place did not look healthy. Gravy had just come out of quarantine (brand new store). My sister sort of named Biscuit and the name stayed since my 16 month old niece could pronounce that. Since I am originally from the south, we went with biscuit and gravy.
Life is full of ups and downs, what a rollercoaster ride.
caramarie

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:21 am   

Those are some neat names, I hope you can post some pic's of them.
tinyslider

Return to Habitat - Outdoor