Feeding and Nutrition :: Turtles eating chocolate

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:19 pm   Turtles eating chocolate

:shock: OK this is a wierd one :shock:

There was a small bar of chocolate sitting on the counter above our turtle tank yesterday and somehow it got knocked into the turtle tank. No one realized it was in there. Our guys managed to open it up and devour the WHOLE THING!! My wife found the wrapper floating in the tank. I came home today to a tank full of little bits of chocolate floating around the tank. So complete water change and filter cleanout. These guys will eat anything :lol: :lol:
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:47 pm   

I thought that chocolate turned to formaldihide in animals. Maybe that was just birds.
Dylan ~17~, Brianna~14~ Ethan ~10~ Ava ~4~
flutterby

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:30 pm   

actually chocolate is toxic to most animals... I found this on a veterinary site..

Chocolate can kill dogs, cats, birds, rodents and reptiles.

http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/StoryTemplate_Process.cfm?specie=Small_Pets&story_no=1390
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:43 pm   

My black lab routinely shared a box of cookies with me and my mom. Chocolate never hurt him, but I'm sure it didn't help him any. I'd be a bit worried about turts eating it tho.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:35 pm   

Chocolate is toxic to mammals. I've never let my cats touch it, even if it was in the ice cream I was eating. (My kitties like their cream). :D

I know a guy who had a pit bull and it ate an occasional candy bar and she lived to a ripe old age. Had a leg amputated from cancer and the dog was just as fiesty.

I'd keep an eye on them. I don't know how turtles digestive tracks vary from mammals to herps.
Sid Vicious, Baby RES
Cats: Soxie, Nera, and Minksie. All mixed breeds. And Spike, a Norwegian Forest Cat.

"I never realized that looking at the tears would make me laugh, and looking at the laughs would make me cry." ~Unknown
pretty.rock.machine

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:13 pm   

Our cats eat chocolate and they are still fine.
TexasJagsFan

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:50 pm   

Yeah, well I think they can eat some. I'm saying they probably shouldn't eat a German Chocolate Cake by themselves. I hear that onions have the same effect but I'm not sure if that's true. I just worry about my babies. :?
Sid Vicious, Baby RES
Cats: Soxie, Nera, and Minksie. All mixed breeds. And Spike, a Norwegian Forest Cat.

"I never realized that looking at the tears would make me laugh, and looking at the laughs would make me cry." ~Unknown
pretty.rock.machine

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:52 pm   

They seem to be ok tonight - at least the tank got a good cleaning it is amazing what collects in corners where the current does not go
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:57 pm   

How much chocolate did they eat? If they are acting fine now they must be okay. I imagine most of it has worked its way through their systems.
Sid Vicious, Baby RES

pretty.rock.machine

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:04 pm   

chocolate is toxic in large amounts, but it differs from animal to animal. some dogs can eat lots and be fine, some die with a tiny amount. i keep and love pet rats, and they can eat chocolate. infact it can help them to breath better if they are weezy. all in small amounts, and not to take the place of medication :wink:
rattical

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:08 pm   

Wow, really? Not surprising since they are rats. :wink: I guess they can eat just about anything.

I just remembered that a friend of mine had an old weiner dog that ate some chocolate. And she died from it. I think she ate quite a bit and she was a small dog. It's probably one of those kind of things. Depending on the size and amount. All animals are different though.
Sid Vicious, Baby RES

pretty.rock.machine

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:13 am   

I guess that like some people, they can have allergies from chocolate, but it is hard to tell on animals since they can't tell you what's wrong until it becomes obvious and more than likely, too late. :?
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:37 am   

SKF - What in the world are your turtles doing in that video clip?
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:31 pm   

Kinda funny whatever it is.
TexasJagsFan

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:35 pm   

Now I want chocolate.
bradhart

Next

Return to Feeding and Nutrition