Feeding and Nutrition :: Turtle Jello Shots

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Did the jello shots work to your satisfaction?

Yes!
86%
No!
14%

Total votes : 120

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:10 pm   

I agree, I have been using it since I first saw this post. Its a very good day to get picky eaters to eat thier veggies.
Doc_Moore_J

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:53 pm   

I actually made this a couple of years ago for Zeke, back then he was EXTREMELY picky but had only been on a pelleted diet up to the 5 years before I got him. I tried it back then and he wouldn't touch it. I would bet he will eat it now....now there's very little this boy won't eat :) I will DEFINITELY have to give it a try again.
Heather
--
1 RES Zeke 17 years (2/1/01)
6 Cats: Mercedes, Tiggles, Mouse, Raven, Smokes, Keekie
2 Dogs: Emmie & Ruby
cprcheetah

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:57 am   

I cannot wait to give these jello shots to my sliders! They will love them, I'm sure. Thanks for sharing such a great invention and recipe.....easy, too!
ptcake

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:42 pm   

i just made a batch of these today and i only have one thing to say. AMAZING! Tori devoured it! thanks so much for sharing your secret :)
1 RES- Tori
1 River Cooter- Tarra
MTski

Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:18 pm   

My turtle loved them, and I've never been able to get her to eat vegetables before. She was dragging it around the tank with her, but it did make a little bit of a mess. Feed it in a separate cage if you can, but it's a great idea!!
Ler36

Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:33 pm   

Sassamo loves hers! She does make a mess too, nothing that the filter can't handle though :)
The 4 other fish in her tank like too help her eat them too. The convict fry I found in my once aggressive fish now guppie tank is growing fast. I wonder who will get the 3 minnows, Sassy or the convict lol.
My favorite things in the world:
1 res, 3 cats, 3 bunnies, 1 dog, 2 african clawed frogs, guppies, pleco, 30+ fancy mice, 2 hermit crabs and 4 small humans
Sassamo

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:36 pm   

Great recipe and I couldn't wait to try it. My turtles feel differently, however, as they won't touch the jello shots! I'll try again and perhaps I'll make more using spinach as the vegetable. My turtles love spinach.
ptcake

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:32 pm   

You might want to avoid spinach altogether....from another post about feeding....

megcornell wrote:...spinach is not recommended for turtles because of it's high oxalic acid content which can block calcium absorption, so I'd cut that out of the vegetable part of the diet.
1 RES, Spike (In new home with 1xPleco, 1xRed Zebra Cichlid, 1xYellow Lab Cichlid)
2 Cats, Blossom & Panda
2 Tropical tanks (plecos, platies, tetras)
2 Handsome Blue Bettas, Blueberry & ?
1 Bright Red Betta, Strawberry
1 Feeder guppy breeding tank
Fuzzy Hamster

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:53 pm   

I've done it! I got the tuna, I got the veggies, I got the gelatin and the alcohol...they're jello shots right? Vodka good? :wink:

Just joking. I'm so excited!!! Now, I must go downstairs to start pureeing. Why isn't this a sticky yet!?
---------
1 RES - Sneaky Sleepy Speedy
AerianaEve

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:05 pm   

AerianaEve wrote:I've done it! I got the tuna, I got the veggies, I got the gelatin and the alcohol...they're jello shots right? Vodka good? :wink:

Just joking. I'm so excited!!! Now, I must go downstairs to start pureeing. Why isn't this a sticky yet!?

Just make sure to lable the ones for you and the ones for the turtle :wink:
My favorite things in the world:
1 res, 3 cats, 3 bunnies, 1 dog, 2 african clawed frogs, guppies, pleco, 30+ fancy mice, 2 hermit crabs and 4 small humans
Sassamo

Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:22 pm   

Sassamo wrote:
AerianaEve wrote:I've done it! I got the tuna, I got the veggies, I got the gelatin and the alcohol...they're jello shots right? Vodka good? :wink:

Just make sure to lable the ones for you and the ones for the turtle :wink:

Hee hee, I almost made that mistake already! I almost gave speedy little disks of chicken soup stock, and put the jello shots into my juice!

But goodness, I cannot believe it! Speedy is eating veggies! SPEEDY...EATING...VEGGIES... MIRACLE!!!

My family got a magic bullet, so it only took 20 minutes to put it all together, and now I'm good for a month! This is Speedy's new staple, and I must admit, she seems to like it a lot better than plain old pellets, veggies, and cuttlebone. In fact, she loves it so much that she tries to swallow it whole...so next time I'll be cutting it into quarters. Hooray! Speedy is eating veggies!!!
---------
1 RES - Sneaky Sleepy Speedy
AerianaEve

Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:12 pm   jello shooters for baby RES?

These jello shots are just the ticket to get Milton (1 yr old) to eat veggies! We have tried everything to ween him off pellets, and he will occasionally eat red leaf lettuce (only if he is VERY hungry...) Which of course makes us feel a bit like we're starving him...*Guilt!* :shock: But lately I have noticed a bit of pyramiding on his shell so we're trying to feed him more veggies and not so much protein, which led me to find this wonderful idea!

Now, I was wondering if these jello shooters are a good meal for a baby RES? She is about 1.5 inch long and has the teeniest tiniest mouth! Even baby reptomin pellets are too big for her, so I thought these jello idea might be good b/c it's a bit softer then pellets. :?:
Milton&Lola

Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:04 am   

it would be a good idea for babies if you modified the recipe to contain more protien. just make as you normally would, but chop them into smaller bites for smaller mouths. think about making pellets the staple food in the recipe for the babies.
- Jessy
"Every breath we take is linked to the sea."
zoologist

Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:36 pm   

hmpf... I've been making this for a month now. Captain pockets loves it! I made this jello for Smee particularly and he HATES IT! He hates everything.. I don't think he's eaten more than maybe 5 reptomin all month. :( I'm going to keep trying. So, thank you so much for your recipe. I just wish Smee would eat something..

Oh and by the by, the pet store here loves your jello too! I make some for their turtles too! :)
Ahoy, Crew line up:
1 RES- Captain Pongo Pockets
1 Map turtle: Smee - Second in Command
hoojib88

Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:44 pm   

They love it! I used pellets, brussel sprouts, greens, carrots, and a little tuna. The only problem I had with the recipe was getting the cubes out of the icetray. I should've just poured the gelatin slurry into a small cooking sheet or something. Cutting each individual cube out of the tray left a lot of waste.
Other than that, it was super easy to make and the turtles are totally crazy for it.
-robind
robind

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition