Feeding and Nutrition :: Turtle Jello Shots

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Did the jello shots work to your satisfaction?

Yes!
86%
No!
14%

Total votes : 120

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:30 pm   

The Jelly is so fun to make! One of my turtles love it, but the other one won't touch it (along with vegetables). Hopefully it will soon. It's shell pieces haven't shed in a long time.

I have a question about apple peels though... I know it's healthy, but is the waxy stuff on the skin surface safe for turtles? I took a knife and scraped some off, but there's so much of it.

Oh yes, another thing... Is canned salmon alright instead of tuna? And if yes, should I include the spinal column? It's quite soft.
Alecshar

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:00 pm   Turtle Jello shots

wow this is interesting guys thanks. I am definantly going to try this. I know I have a diet for opossums (I'm a wildlife rehabber) and it is simular to this because they are prone to metabolic bone disease and I do have the calcium powder. Again thanks
If it's wild then leave it alone unless it is sick or injured. If that doesn't work you can always call me.
mavredes

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:45 pm   

i like to make them in the silicone rubber stick molds. I refreigerate them and then put them in the freezer. It makes it really easy to get them out in one piece and cut them to any shape you desire. I like long pyramid shape (6 per stick).
I have two female red ear sliders.
Chimpy - 5.5 inches
Chompy- 6.0 inches
Both were born about 7/2007
Got them -- 9/2007
bradmeisel

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:48 pm   

Alecshar wrote:Oh yes, another thing... Is canned salmon alright instead of tuna? And if yes, should I include the spinal column? It's quite soft.

i wouldn't feed them salmon alone but in the jello mixture when blended or food processed would be fine. i would try to get the tuna for the future tho.
I have two female red ear sliders.
Chimpy - 5.5 inches
Chompy- 6.0 inches
Both were born about 7/2007
Got them -- 9/2007
bradmeisel

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:58 pm   

Barnie loves the jello shots no matter what ingredients I use! This is the best go-to recipe ever!
1 RES Barnie, 4 years old
7 dogs, all rescues (Misty, Chewbacca, Lexus, Toby, Sable, Claree, Harley)
1 cat, Eric
trudykurz

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:30 pm   

That's absolutly awesome! I'm definatly trying this! Save me so much time feeding 18 turtles and making sure everybody gets enough!!
6 inch boy 'Doobie'
8.5 inch girl 'Shelby'
8 inch girl 'Terrapin'
18 rescue RES
3 cats (Friday, Jay, Tyson)
2 rabbits (Cloe, Dutchess)
LittleResQNorth

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:49 am   

Most of my older turtles love the origional recipe but I feed my younger turtles a simplified recipe with just pureed leaf lettuce and pureed tuna soaked pellets and they go crazy for it!
6 inch boy 'Doobie'
8.5 inch girl 'Shelby'
8 inch girl 'Terrapin'
18 rescue RES
3 cats (Friday, Jay, Tyson)
2 rabbits (Cloe, Dutchess)
LittleResQNorth

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:30 am   

ok, so it's been a while since i've posted to this topic, but i'm very happy to say that Squirt gobbles up the jello shots now. lol. I gave him about a month or so before I tried again, and I've also been taking him out of his habitat and putting him in a big bin with water to feed him- saves me time and energy cleaning out his habitat so much...lol. cleanup is a breeze, cause the little pieces that are left after he's had his fill go EVERYWHERE! :-) Anyways, thanks for the recipe, cause after some patience he's finally eating his veggies, even if he doesn't know it.. :-)
~Jeni~

RES- male- Squirt
Jack Russell Terrier- male- Bandit
blueace23

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:51 am   

Wanted to say that I made these last night and fed Donnie one today, at first him seemed terrified of it. He would swim towards it but when he got close his head would back into his shell as quickly as he could. eventually he took a nip and it and then decided that he loved it.

I used some old shaped ice trays and cut a piece in half for him. He eventually got it all down =D
xstefanx

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:57 pm   

Will have to try!
Jumper - 10 months RES
Button - 6 months RES
jumpersma

Post Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:51 pm   Turtle Shots

My hatchling really likes them. Took him a few minutes to figure out what he was to do with it, but it helped that I gave it to him at normal feeding time.

I give him a whole one, which he works on over a day or two. He seems to enjoy having food available to him whenever he is ready for it. Next batch I make thou, I will not use ice cube trays as molds. I found it hard to get them out.
DanvilleTurtle, proud parent of:
1 human daughter
1 cat-PeeWee
1 dog-Mutsy
1 angelfish-Angel
2 RES-currently unnamed
unknown number of guppies
DanvilleTurtle

Post Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:57 pm   

Both my turtles love this :) and it seems that Kame' s poop is no longer white because she can digest her cuttlebone properly now
My Baby Turtles:
Kame : My spoiled one (R.I.P)
Kroten : My beautiful RES
Papoe : My Emydura Schultzei (Pink Belly Short Necked Turtle)
Kurome : My Chinemys Revesii (Chinese Three Keeled Pond Turtle)
Underneath The Shell
Youtube
novroz

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:48 pm   

I made some shots today. Used an organic greens mix with the spinach picked out, a scrap of salmon I didn't cook for lunch, tuna, powdered cuttlebone, and apple peel. Blended it all. Sigh, babies haven't eaten them yet but their routine got messed up today so I will keep trying.

Wanted to show off this awesome little find I came across while getting the gelatin:

Perfectly sized little cones. They're about the size of candy . . . ah, Dots. Mini-cubes. Still a bit large for my hatchlings but very cool. I got 2 trays and that fits about a batch. I made a double batch because that's just the volume i ended up with after blending everything, so I had overflow in other shapes.
BiteyBits

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:05 pm   

I just made my first batch of these and am so excited for my Squirty to try them. I really think he's going to love them. Of course, everyone else in the family thinks I'm crazy for purchasing a food processor to make turtle food. :wink:
kellycraig125

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:00 pm   

Well, as I believed, Squirt TORE IT UP! He loved the jello shots! Woo hoo! I now have my way of getting the veggies in him. So happy!
Elvis- 13 year old cat
Squirt- 3 year old RES
kellycraig125

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition