Feeding and Nutrition :: turtle wont eat...

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:43 pm   turtle wont eat...

apples,carrots, or anything but flukers pellets or bloodworms!!!
sinbads owner
sinbad

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:46 pm   

have you done anything about getting them a bigger tank yet? If I recall, you said you didn't know the water or basking temps either...that is all very important.

If they're eating one thing but not another, they're just being picky. Offer only what they should have, not what they want. They'll eat when they're hungry.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:52 pm   

ok
sinbads owner
sinbad

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:00 pm   

have you?
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:47 pm   

Young turtles are more carnivorous, which is why many of them do not take in veggies until later in life, but do not refrain from offering varieties of vegetation. Many turtles, if enticed, will consume veggies in their hatchling years.

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:38 pm   

two of turtles wont eat anything whatsoever. Im worried that they will die becaues i havent seen them eat anything for a couple of days.
I LOVE turtles, dont u?
yaseeris2fast4u

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:27 pm   

A healthy turtle can go quite a long time without eating. Have you made any changes to their tank recently? What are the basking and water temps? If they are not warm enough that will cause them to stop eating.
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:40 pm   I have the same problem (won't eat)

I have two sliders, I have had them about 8 mos. now and they used to eat often. I recently moved into a new house and since then about 1 month now I have not seen them eat at all. They seem to be sleeping quite a bit. Could the water temp be wrong? What is the ideal temp? One of the turtles died about 5 mos. ago by getting stuck under a decorative rock in the tank and he was under water for who knows how long. He was dead for about 30 min. but believe it or not I being an emergency room nurse, gave him turtle cpr as I like to call it (only because my 6 year old daughter was crying her eyes out telling me to do doctor stuff to it) but believe it or not he came back to life and after about 2 more hours of him laying limp on a rock he swam off and has been fine since then. He does not grow as fast as the other turtle and does not eat as much so he does not worry me. However the other 1 used to eat with no problem and let you rub his head and such. Now since the move he is not as friendly and I have not seen them eat in about 4 weeks. All I see them do now is sleep. Any advice?
redsky

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:47 pm   

Welcome. Well, what is the temp of the tank water (you didn't say)? For a healthy hatchling/under a year, a water temp of about 78F would be good. You don't say where you are, but if it's winter where you are and don't have one, get a submersible water heater to keep the water temp constant. Basking area should be about 10 degrees higher, or in the range of 88-90F.

The room where they are in the new house--is it drafty? What's the ambient air temp of the room they're in? Temperatures that are too cool for prolonged periods will cause them to become inactive and not eat and be susceptible to respiratory infections. Have you noticed any other symptoms besides what you described--swollen eyes, open mouth breathing when out of the water, wheezing, mucus or bubbles coming from the nose or mouth when out of the water, listing to the side when in the water (all symptoms of RI)?

You said you haven't noticed them eat. Have you noticed any poop anywhere?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:09 pm   

It's either going into this thing that turtles go into,so don't worry if it doesn't bask or eat a lot,or the water is too cold.
vieniebebe

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:14 pm   

It's either going into this thing that turtles go into,so don't worry if it doesn't bask or eat a lot,or the water is too cold.
vieniebebe

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:48 pm   

vieniebebe wrote:It's either going into this thing that turtles go into,so don't worry if it doesn't bask or eat a lot,or the water is too cold.

Yes, you should worry if it doesn't eat or the water is too cold. Water that is too cold can cause illness or worse, as with the not eating part as well. You should always make sure that both the water and basking temps are correct at all times.
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Return to Feeding and Nutrition