Feeding and Nutrition :: New way to offer cuttlebone

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:56 pm   New way to offer cuttlebone

So I put the cuttlebone in the tank but it just floated around and the turtles couldn't get ahold of it. I kept thinking I needed to anchor it somehow and then I got it.

Went to Walmart and got a $1 small dog chain. Cut 2 holes in the cuttlebone and used zip ties to hold the cuttlebone to the dog chain on both ends (dog chain for weight to keep it on the bottom).

Just an idea.
redfox0099

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:56 pm   

I don't think most people put the whole thing in at once though. Usually breaking it into bite size/head size pieces that either float or sink is what I do and I got those instructions from here on the forum. It's always attracted Koopa to it when it floats at the top of the tank.

Another reason not to put the whole thing in there is that their intake should be monitored and they shouldn't be allowed to gorge themselves on it. Offering an occasional chunk of cuttlebone to supplement his diet is what I've always done and the large piece lasts for a while that way.
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:05 pm   

I actually put half a bone in at a time and they do just fine. They chew on it every couple of days so I'm not worried about them overdoing it (if that's possible).

That's hilarious, red. Just make sure it's not going to rust.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:07 am   

Did you take the hard backing off the cuttlebone before putting it in the tank? Just curious :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:01 pm   

I always just put the whole piece in and let it float. The turtle likes chasing it around and she only eats on it a little bit each day. It usually lasts a week. I read somewhere that for older/bigger turtles the backing on the cuttlebone shouldn't hurt them and that it really only needs to be taken off for younger smaller turtles.
Spookster

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:02 pm   

Yes I did take the backing off. I put it in a bit of water for a day to soften it up and used a knife blade to chip it off. The dog chain is stainless os it won't rust.
redfox0099

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:12 pm   

I would think keeping it submerged like that will make it get waterlogged more quickly if it's not eaten. Then it should stay on the bottom by itself, if that's what you want.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:41 pm   

What is cuttlebone and where do you buy it? Is it served as a treat or weekly intake?
Cooter: 6.75 inches
Beefcake: 5 inches
TurtleBot

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:58 pm   

It's found in the bird section for birds at the petstore. Take the hard backing off and you can offer pieces of it weekly to supplement their calcium intake.
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:29 pm   

I keep a few pieces floating in my RES's tank and replace them as needed.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:05 pm   

How do you take a backing off? Mine is just one big mass.
alehasfriends

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:07 pm   

I scraped it with a knife. I'm not sure how others do it though. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:52 pm   

Yeah, I break the bone in half and take the backing off with a sharp knife. You'll want to do it either over the garbage or the sink because it'll be messy.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:27 pm   

I break it into quarters and pry off/slice the backing from them.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:20 am   

I found some cuttlebone at my local pet shop that does not have the backing on it... its quite big so i broke it to smaller bits. so check and see if they have it without the backing it was actually cheaper then the ones with backings.
Peace love & light
Carey
1 RES (baby) Tortuga
I am Tortuga's slave :)
Az^FolkSinger

Return to Feeding and Nutrition