Feeding and Nutrition :: feeding pellets. How many?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:37 pm   feeding pellets. How many?

How many actual pellets should i be feeding my turtles. I is a 3 yo Female, while the other is a 1 yo Male. Is there a general number of pellets i should be feeding them? Thanks for the insight.
solidwalnut

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:43 pm   

Not really. General rule is feed as much as would fit inside the head every day for a hatchling, every other day for 1year and older. I wish someone could nail it down to a number but so far no one has. Make sure to offer veggies every day as well.

And welcome to the forum:-)
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:45 pm   

mine are 1.5 years each and i give them...mabey....5-7 pellets each, because they balance it out with veggies, i ahve an anachris and some rosies in there.
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:48 am   

Giving a number of pellets isn't as accurate as saying the amount that fits in her head. In my short lived experience different brands of turt food come in different sizes. For Elliot to say that he gives 5-7 pellets could be an equivalent to my two pellets. It's safer to go with the rule of the head.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:07 pm   

Which pellets are you using? For me, it's easier to judge a head-size amount with pellets that are round, rather than the stick-shaped kinds.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:47 pm   

More is better than less in my opinion.

I feed too much though so I shouldnt' really be talking.
alkaiser

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:16 pm   

More isn't better. Too much protein can cause a lot of problems. You can always suppliment their diet with veggies to make sure they are getting enough food but you can't take away protein once they've eaten too much of it.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:49 pm   

mine is about 8 motnhs and she eats about 10 a day.only wardley sticks.
she refuses to eat reptomin and or any oter brand.she doesn't seem to be interseted in feeder fish.i offered every kind of vegetable from the list on this site.i tried not to feed the whole day and than give her vegitables,she still refused.
once a week i give her dried shrimp.she loves it.
mkeric1

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:05 pm   

mkeric1 wrote:mine is about 8 motnhs and she eats about 10 a day.only wardley sticks.
she refuses to eat reptomin and or any oter brand.she doesn't seem to be interseted in feeder fish.i offered every kind of vegetable from the list on this site.i tried not to feed the whole day and than give her vegitables,she still refused.
once a week i give her dried shrimp.she loves it.

Did you say that you feed your turtle 10 sticks a day??

Isn't that a bit much? I feed my 2 sliders 1 a day... and sometimes I throw in a snack, a little piece of tuna or chicken.

I could understand maybe 2 sticks... but 10? jeez
SlidersRCool

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:18 pm   

is that too much?
it seems like all day long she is either bagging for food or looking for scraps on the bottom.
these are wardley sticks1
so i'm overfeeding.
need input , please!
mkeric1

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:22 pm   

1 stick a day.... thats malnutricion, it should be enough to fill their head if it were hollow, not including the neck, every other day, with veggies every day...Sliders....you really are NOT feeding your turtles enough...
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:44 pm   

How many am I supposed to feed them?
SlidersRCool

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:08 am   

Try re-reading this topic.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:03 am   

steve wrote:Try re-reading this topic.

Uhmm... thanks Steve... I didn't know it was that obvious </sarcasm>

Anyways, yeah, I see... the equivalent of what would fit in the head. Okay, well, they are hatchlings... and with my Wardley food sticks, I wouldn't think that more than 2 sticks would fill their head. I'm just being sure, I know Sliders are beggers, and they will beg for food even when they're not hungry... and over feeding is a good way to mess 'em up.

Just being cautious.
SlidersRCool

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:27 pm   

i thought you said 1 stick a day, but you changed it to two? what is it? :shock:
Elliott
ellman605

Return to Feeding and Nutrition