Feeding and Nutrition :: How do I feed my Red Ears Vegetables?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:00 am   How do I feed my Red Ears Vegetables?

How do I feed my red ear sliders vegetables? I bought carrots and mustard leaves from the grocery.

Do I chop them up into little bites? Do I put the food in the water? In the basking area? (It dries them out very quickly and they shrivle up)

Do I feed a carrot whole?

Yesterday I dropped bits of carrots in the tank chopped up and they did eat a few.
kisskollector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:02 am   

Cut the skin of the carrot and warm it up a little in hot water. That will make it a little softer but don't cook it. Cut it in small chunks, bite sized. Salad should also be chopped and rolled into balls making it easier to consume. I'm surprised your turtles eat vegetables. Mine all don't even sniff at it.
Red eared sliders are for life, not just the weekends.

The proud father of:
12 Red Eared Sliders:
4 adult females
4 adult males
2 young females
2 young males
aal

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:04 pm   

My turtles seem to love lettuce very much. I clip the leaves using veggie clip
available from pet stores.
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (53/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
Kemul

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:56 pm   

i wonder the same thing as kiss where do i put the vegitables in the water???
vic021

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:02 pm   

For greens, just put them in the tank and let them float (if you don't have a clip). I replace daily, but usually nothing is left.

For carrots, I like to use a peeler and make thin peels that float in the water like worms.

They need to eat in the water, and that's where food should be put.

If they're small, I'd try red leaf lettuce rather than mustard leaves. I've got two Eastern painteds that are a little over an inch in length who love to nibble on both tender dandelion leaves and red leaf lettuce.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:09 pm   

I have two female red ear sliders.
Chimpy - 5.5 inches
Chompy- 6.0 inches
Both were born about 7/2007
Got them -- 9/2007
bradmeisel

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:29 am   

Also the younger the turtle is, the less likely it will eat veggies. Most of the turtles I have under 3 won't even consider eating veggies but I put them in anyways in case they decide to give them a shot. Don't expect great results at first but eventually they do taste test them. I have an old male RES that would eat all the leaf lettuce I'd give him.
6 inch boy 'Doobie'
8.5 inch girl 'Shelby'
8 inch girl 'Terrapin'
18 rescue RES
3 cats (Friday, Jay, Tyson)
2 rabbits (Cloe, Dutchess)
LittleResQNorth

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:48 am   clean, wash, none

You wash the vegetables and chopped it. You can mixed the vegetables but make sure no spinach.
green_iguana_lover

Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:20 am   

I chop up veggies and freeze them, then cut them into small hunks to put in the tank cause Mr Pink won't eat anything that isn't pellet-shaped. Once I can make it look like a pellet he'll eat them just fine.
Outlander

Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:35 pm   

I recently tried to feed my baby RES his first carrot and i followed marissa's advice and used a peeler in thin peels and no intrest yet haha
I like turtles ;]
Sir Max

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:35 am   

Heh, my turt seems to be the exception to most rules, He's not even a year old yet and he'll eat lettuce like mad... I usually tear off peices of the Romain lettuce we buy him and just hover it over his head, he comes up and snaps it out of my hand.
Seroster

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:05 am   

Yeah my RES are way under a year old and they love veggies. I just fed them some ground up carrots and they love that crap. All i do is get a carrot, break off a small piece, shred it up using one of those things u shred Cheese with, and put it on there basking wood and they go straight for it, get some, take it into the water, and eat it.
DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:07 pm   

Just started feeding my turtle veggies. How much is too much? One tiny lettuce leaf is bigger than his head. How do you measure it?
Laurie
1 tuxedo cat- Oreo
1 RES Seymour
LaurL55

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:41 pm   Re: How do I feed my Red Ears Vegetables?

Hey everyone. I logged on to ask this question myself. My lil guy/girl isn't too hot on veggies. My lil one is just over 4 inches. So I'm guessing about 6 months or so. I put every veggie and fruit imaginable in the tank. Floating. On the bask area. But he/she strait out refuses. But everything I have read says going RES don't tend to eat veggies. They lean more toward meat due to their need for proteins for shell growth and other physiological functions. I always threw in a few bait fish that he/she likes. Just yesterday I was at the store getting new heat bulb and came across canned snails and grasshoppers. I bought them with little confidence but when I got home and dropped them in shellbots tank. They barely hit the water and they were in his/her stomach. But from what I have read and have been told. Just be patient. They slowly transition into plant eaters.
Jayson

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:07 pm   Re: How do I feed my Red Ears Vegetables?

Using a veggie clip is what works best for me. I switch up the variety of lettuce and occasioanlly some carrots that I shredded. He loves green beans too, but just make sure you boil it a bit first. He didn't care for it raw.
Into_the_Mystic

Next

Return to Feeding and Nutrition