Feeding and Nutrition :: How do I feed my Red Ears Vegetables?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:56 pm   Re: How do I feed my Red Ears Vegetables?

You might try the turtle Jell-O shots

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17486

I've never had problems getting my son's turtle to eat vegetables, so I haven't tried them but there have been others here who have reported success tricking their turtles into eating veggies that way.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:43 pm   Re: How do I feed my Red Ears Vegetables?

My turts are about 3 months old I guess and I have them eating veggies. You will have to check with someone more knowledgeable that myself to know if this is a good idea. But I went to Walmart and bought them a huge stack of collard greens. No dice, the turts wouldn't touch them although they would eat spinach leaves straight. I just toss them in the tank. So what I did was soak the leaves in tuna water for about 20 minutes then threw those in the tank. After the scent of tuna permeated the tank the turtles tore the greens up. It seemed to work. I do not know if I will have to continue to use tuna water or not, but this definately got greens other than spinach( on the do not feed list) in them.
Starscream

Post Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:22 pm   Re: How do I feed my Red Ears Vegetables?

You could try soaking your veggies in a little tuna juice.
res ~4"
low light planted fish tank
oostern

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:53 am   Re: How do I feed my Red Ears Vegetables?

Jayson wrote:Hey everyone. I logged on to ask this question myself. My lil guy/girl isn't too hot on veggies. My lil one is just over 4 inches. So I'm guessing about 6 months or so. I put every veggie and fruit imaginable in the tank. Floating. On the bask area. But he/she strait out refuses.

How diverse is her diet? George is used to trying new things. I think variety is essential. Right now, George and I are snacking on these amazing purple organic carrots! Mmmm!

Speaking of carrots, I logged on to ask: is the green part of the carrot, the top, OK to feed her? Looks tasty to me, very leafy and green.

But everything I have read says going RES don't tend to eat veggies.

Pft. Tell that to George. She eats everything but again, she's accustomed to a diet full of variety. She eats everything. Sometimes she tries to eat my finger (looks like salmon to her, I guess).

They lean more toward meat due to their need for proteins for shell growth and other physiological functions.

She definitely is a protein-aholic, but I allow daily portions of it in moderation. I'm sure she'd love more, but I don't want her body to grow too quickly for her shell. She's getting big, big ol' huge happy feet. She's hilarious.
Impulse Shopper

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:56 am   Re: How do I feed my Red Ears Vegetables?

Into_the_Mystic wrote:He loves green beans too, but just make sure you boil it a bit first. He didn't care for it raw.

Great idea. Will try. Will not boil, though. Robs of nutrients. George is not a picky eater. Eats everything. She doesn't seem to care much for plain cuttle bone, though. :msgreen:
Impulse Shopper

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:58 am   Re: How do I feed my Red Ears Vegetables?

Starscream wrote: I went to Walmart and bought them a huge stack of collard greens. No dice, the turts wouldn't touch them although they would eat spinach leaves straight.

Yeah, I tried collard greens with George when she was younger. Didn't go for it. I think my mom was right: it's too tough texture-wise.
Impulse Shopper

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:26 am   Re: How do I feed my Red Ears Vegetables?

My vet says that RES are mostly vegetarian, but my RES doesn't even touch the lettuce I gave him!
1 RES Evergreen
1 Razorback Musk Acorn
1 Common Musk Charcoal ( Rest In Peace :cry:)
1 Red-Bellied Turtle Hermes
mythicalpet

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:37 am   Re: How do I feed my Red Ears Vegetables?

Try the Jello shot, veggie clips, other types, etc. Don't give up so easily.
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Feeding and Nutrition