Feeding and Nutrition :: Anacharis smells really bad

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:12 pm   Anacharis smells really bad

I cleaned out Michelangelo's tank today woah did it stink! I smelled the Anacharis and it smelled horrible! Made the whole tank smell too. I clipped off the dead ends and put it back in but I hope it doesn't keep stinking like that!

Does anyone else have this problem?

Personally I don't think Michelangelo is eating the stuff but he likes to hide in it so I'll keep it in there for now....I just need some ideas on how to keep that horrible smell gone (dead bodies don't even smell that bad!!)
She is mine and I shall call her Michelangelo!
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:27 pm   

Well, Ancharis is supposed to smell.... I don't know... Maybe it's like that?
new turtle-lover

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:34 pm   

I don't remember it smelling that bad when I got it. Cause this stuff smells like a really really dead something or other.
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:51 pm   

I mentioned something about anacharis being smelly on another post a while back. Marisa told me that it's not supposed to. It only smells if it needs to be washed. Now, I give it a good rinse when I get it home before I put it in the container I keep it in. It lasts a lot longer and it's not smelly at all!
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:53 pm   

I washed it really well and cut off what looked like it was dead. Luckily so far it only smelled horribly when I took it out of the water. I guess I'll have to check it more often. No wonder Michelangelo won't eat the stuff.
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:31 pm   

The anachris I keep for feeding in a separate container doesn't smell unless the water needs to be changed, which is not that often. The anachris I keep in the tank with my baby painted, however, develops an odor fairly quickly (but is so lush and green), and this I think is just from being in the water with the turtle (and all the poop and debris that result). A quick rinse with cool water solves the problem, though, at least until the next time it needs to be rinsed. :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Feeding and Nutrition