Feeding and Nutrition :: Guppies or minnows?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Feeder guppies or feeder minnows?

Guppies
73%
Minnows
27%
Other???!
No votes

Total votes : 11

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:59 pm   Guppies or minnows?

It seems that whenever I go to my petstore, I'm stuck on choosing whether to choose guppies or minnows. They are both great. The Guppies are small, quick, prolific, and "longer-lasting". The minnows are bigger and easier to catch. Maybe I should get both at the same time? :lol: But suppose I'm just carrying just one dollar...
Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.
knite

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:02 pm   

I don't think it matters, but I always go for minnows.. but with guppies IF they get a chance to breed you would end up with more for your money :)

My minnows seem awfully darn fast I can catch guppies to clean the tank but not the darn minnows.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:17 am   

tell me about, it took me about 45 minutes to catch 7 minnows when I was cleaning my tank few weeks ago, it wasn't as easy as I thought.
juicedgt02

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:28 am   

I just clean the tank with the fish in there.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:46 am   

Well fish tend to die when there's no water in the tank.. lol I have to catch them every now and again to do a full tank cleaning. I've only done it once with the 75gal .. but those buggers are fast. When I do a partial cleaning/water change I don't remove the fish :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:49 am   

cam722 wrote:Well fish tend to die when there's no water in the tank..

:lol: :lol:
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:16 pm   

I just bought feeder goldfishes today... :oops: They're a little too big for my turtle and I also understand that it's not great for them. Should I keep them there, with the turtles? They don't care what they eat it seems and that is including poop and uneaten pellets. I just learned that goldfishes are cold water fishes. They wouldn't fit in warm waters. :( Oh well, Guess I'll be buying a new container tommorow...

By the way, the day I bought these goldfish, I'm beginning to see small bubbles (lots of them!) floating on the top of my tank. They're pretty dense; I tried to 'pop' one but it didn't pop immediately like an air bubble would've. Could they be eggs because I have never seen them before?
Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.
knite

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:28 pm   

i was told minnows are best for the turtle cuz guppies and goldfish carry to much fat on them and the turtle doesnt need fatty oils from the fish or else they will become overweight ... i feed my turtle rosy red minnows ... ive had the same 7 minnows in the tank for about 5 months now ... there used to be 13 bu the turtle ate 6 of them :) .. for now the minnows are too fast for the turtle but if she gets hungry she can catch them
Mr.Turtle - 8.0" (female)
mitchy04

Return to Feeding and Nutrition