Feeding and Nutrition :: feeding guppies

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:12 am   feeding guppies

Well since my turtle is not eating the guppies I bought him (go figure) I figure I might as well feed them, but I had no real idea on what to feed them, so I looked in my betta fish food supply I keep here. Luckily I had some betta fish flakes that none of my bettas would touch. I figured eh what the heck if they eat it they eat it, if they don't no harm done. I have never seen fish go so mad over this stuff, they were like a pack of hungry wolves!!

So now I gotta feed them fish food and the turtle his own food. But at least I have the fish food to give them (though it was meant for bettas but it can't really be that bad for them) But does anyone else feed their guppies that don't get eaten? I just wondered cause I felt bad that they haven't really been getting their own food and that they might be stealing some of the turtle's food (along with the ghost shrimp stealing the food too)

But I will be feeding the turtle and guppies at different times so that the turtle doesn't eat the fish food and vice versa hopefully.

But I just cannot believe how much these guys have eaten today I gave these four guppies at least three big pinches full of food and they ate all of it!!

So now do they have shrimp food? Cause if they do I might as well get that and let the shrimp have a treat too.

Thank goodness the snails just eat plants and growth. (though they are fun to watch moving around in the water)
She is mine and I shall call her Michelangelo!
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:04 am   

I understand your pity for the fish, but they really don't need to be fed. Mine just eat whatever they find in the tank. If you want to feed them, I'm sure the betta flakes are fine. Sorry, but this made me giggle :lol:
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:53 am   

I debated with feeding my guppies...mostly because the turtles like to eat the fish food too. I ended up taking pity on my fish and just crunching up the fish flakes as much as possible.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:59 am   

You could always remove the turts for 5min while you feed the fish.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:16 pm   

I've considered it. In all reality they aren't getting a whole lot of fish food. It's crunched up so small that I'd be surprised if they were able to consume a whole flake when it's all said and done. On the other hand, catching two hatchlings in a 75 gal tank would mean I'd have to go for a swim, lol. It's bad enough that I have to stand on a stool to get in tank. I could probably take a bath in there, no problem.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:26 pm   

My turtle runs when he sees me going near the tank and hides so it's easy to feed the guppies, they just come up right away and the turtle runs and stays hidden till I leave so I just watch the guppies eat and when they are done I give the turtle his food.
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:37 pm   

daredevilgirl013 wrote:My turtle runs when he sees me going near the tank and hides so it's easy to feed the guppies, they just come up right away and the turtle runs and stays hidden till I leave so I just watch the guppies eat and when they are done I give the turtle his food.

I'm sure your turtles would come around. I've had Monster & Rocky for about 3 weeks. They started to become a bit more friendly when it comes to feeding time (hand feed). Of course, it varies from personality to personality. I don't feed my guppies or minnows. Whenever I throw down some Reptomin pellets, the guppies or the minnows would always come up for some as well. Whether it's Survivor (12yrs+ old Male Res) or Monster & Rocky (Baby Res), the guppies are usually gone by the week. However, these Minnows are something else. It's simply too fast for all 3 of my turtles. They could be there at months at a time without being touched. I think by buying flakes for them would just be another expense. I've also heard that guppies reproduce fast and it might get out of hand.
BROOKLYN

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:35 pm   

This is just some spare food I had laying around that my bettas won't eat so really it's saving me money because I bought this stuff and my bettas won't go near it. And if they reproduce that's no big, I'll put a few in my betta tanks if need be.
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:50 am   

I wouldn't feed them, because RES are sloppy eaters and leave a lot of food debris (oif you are feeding them a pellet or stick food.) I would just let the fish hunt for what the turtle misses... and hope that the turtle figures out what fish are for :)
I used to be a reptile expert. Now I'm just an old turtle lover.
reptilegrrl

Return to Feeding and Nutrition