Feeding and Nutrition :: my 1 1/2 RES refuse to eat it's shrimp

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:36 am   my 1 1/2 RES refuse to eat it's shrimp

my 1 1/2inch RES refuse to eat it's shrimp
is it full? or the food is not fresh, because I got it from my friend. The food looks so crushed and old sort of like. Should I restock strip turtle food?
Last edited by Gordon89 on Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon89

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:42 am   

First off.. Welcome to the forum. Shrimp shouldn't be the main food your turtle eats. It's considered more a snack item. Too much protein (which shrimp are) isn't good for your turtle. So I'd not worry about his not eating it. What else do you feed it? What is your setup like?
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:32 am   

Very simple, a tank and water. The turtle is not moving fast, I wonder of it malnutrition. However, I find out the eye doesn't expand widely, I only sees its pupil. Also. I see this white skin like around the eye lid, is it normal?
Gordon89

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:37 am   

.....a tank and water provides absolutely nothing for the turtle.

from that response, i strongly recommend finding a more sutible home for your turtle, because you obviously have not prepared to own a turtle.

if you disagree, and think you can keep this turtle, you need to read EVERYTHING on the main site.

Read this...

it will be expensive, and you will need to keep track of a lot of things, being a turtle keeper is hard work, but it is very rewarding.
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:10 pm   

I'm a newbie, how may you help me?
Gordon89

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:55 pm   

read that link in my last message.
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:32 pm   

How long have you had your turtle and what is his size? Where do you live?
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:18 pm   

It is about 1 1/2 inch and I just had it yesterday. Before, it was breathing with it's head head, and his eyes are closed. After a while, the turtle woke up. I read theories from other turtle care related sites about turtle infections, I wish my little turtle doesn't have a respiratory problem.
Gordon89

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:19 pm   

with it's head head? huh?
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:35 pm   

yes, head and body, no tail included from this measurement. Now the neck is hangout out. Is it dead?
Gordon89

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:52 pm   

when you measure a turtle you don't measure the head/neck.. just the straight carapace (shell) length. As for your question if your turtle is dead? Ummm not to sound nasty or anything, but how would we know? You've never completely answered any questions regarding your turtles habitat. I'm assuming since you said all it has is a tank and water, that it has no basking dock to dry off on, no lights, no heat or anything else that a turtle needs to remain healthy. PLEASE read the information regarding a proper turtle setup before your turtle does get sick and possibly die.

Website Index

If a turtle is cold it's not going to be very active..so again PLEASE read the information on the main website and through this forum regarding how to take care of your turtle.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:12 pm   

Ok, I'm going to mod a platform. Due to low budget, I'm sorry turtle lovers, I will do whatever I can to make my turtle satisfy it.

It is still not eating. I fed it with frog pellet food, because I heard other people said "my turtle eat the goldfish pellet". I didn't know if he ate of not. However, it is not even one is ate. I was observing how its mouth open. To my recently observation, its mouth is less than .25 cm when it is open. How suppose the turtle eat? I even fed it with a small piece of raw vegetable, still no reaction to it. should I feed it with flies like I used to do to my frog?
Gordon89

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:14 pm   

Are you feeding your turtle golfish pellets or turtle pellets?

They should be eating something like this..

turtle pellets
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:15 pm   

EDIT:look down, sounds like ri to me...
Last edited by ellman605 on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:16 pm   

Gordon89 wrote:Ok, I'm going to mod a platform. Due to low budget, I'm sorry turtle lovers, I will do whatever I can to make my turtle satisfy it.

It is still not eating. I fed it with frog pellet food, because I heard other people said "my turtle eat the goldfish pellet". I didn't know if he ate of not. However, it is not even one is ate. I was observing how its mouth open. To my recently observation, its mouth is less than .25 cm when it is open. How suppose the turtle eat? I even fed it with a small piece of raw vegetable, still no reaction to it. should I feed it with flies like I used to do to my frog?

if you guys dont know what i'm talking about, and i'm pretty sure it sounds like ri, i bolded it in the quote

edit:
Open mouth breathing
This may occur occasionally, usually during basking. If it is frequent, then it is a possible respiratory infection. Take basic measures and carefully observe.

thats what i found on the main site, i guess is houldnt have made it sound so suttle, but if the turtle's mouth is open frequently, and not during basking, it sounds like ri, look on the main site for more info...
Elliott
ellman605

Next

Return to Feeding and Nutrition