Feeding and Nutrition :: Veronica's diet.

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:19 am   

ellman605 wrote:
Behavior and etiquette
There is a level of maturity that exists within Turtle Talk and we expect it to stay that way. Everyone who participates and offers advice does so in his or her own free time; and this participation is fundamental to the development of this forum. We anticipate people to act and respond in a civil manner - there is no tolerance for written and verbal abuse and harassment of any type. Inappropriate posts/topics, out of topic posts, cross posting, spamming, pestering and anything with a malicious or illegal intent are not permitted. Do not take warnings lightly.

I have read this, Mr. Ellman, and no where do I see that inappropriate language is banned. I do not plan to use dirty language, I don't see where it would be appropriate on this board any way.

So if you'll stop harassing and pestering me, I'll be on my way. Thank you.
SlidersRCool

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:34 pm   

I have not attacked you, and frankly, I am somewhat offended by your accusation. Attacking you would be saying something like "You are lame." Disagreeing with the way you feed your turtle, urging you to get more information, and urging you to feed your turtle an age-appropriate diet is not an attack.

As you pointed out, we are here because we care about turtles. I have spent years seeing people mistreat their turtles. In my educated opinion (I've been doing turtle rescue and rehab since 1997) one and a half pellets twice a day is not enough for a growing baby turtle. Also, not offering her anything except pellets and vegetables is not a healthy, age-appropriate diet. I am certainly opposed to overfeeding, but underfeeding is also a significant problem with reptiles and indeed all exotic pets.

I don't even understand why you are feeding her at night; daytime is her optimum digestion time. It is during warm days and basking that turtles generate the body heat to digest their food. That is one of the main reasons reptiles bask.
I used to be a reptile expert. Now I'm just an old turtle lover.
reptilegrrl

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:36 pm   

What do you suggest I change her diet to?
buffyfan9005

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:27 pm   

Buffyfan, what brand of pellets are you giving your turtle? I'm caring for an approximately 4 month old painted turtle that's about an inch (shell length), and for pellets I'm giving 3 Reptomin Baby a day. This is alternated with other foods, both live (like pieces of cut-up earthworms, small crickets, baby snails, etc.), frozen bloodworms, and something called San Francisco Bay Brand Aquatic Turtle Diet, which are frozen cubes of vegetable matter (including dandelions and carrots) mixed with animal matter (mainly fish) and added nutrients. Anachris is in the tank at all times for nibbling on as are tiny pieces of cuttlebone (no interest in this that I've seen so far). As the turtle grows (and I'm seeing some in the shell) and the head becomes larger, I'll increase the pellet amount.

The fact that your hatchling is taking to vegetables is good, and I'd keep offering some, but hatchlings need protein a bit more than adults, since protein is needed for growth, and they do the most/fastest growing in their earlier years. Just don't go the other way and overdo it by only feeding high protein foods. You want balance.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:19 pm   

I use Reptomin pellets, I'm guessing just the regular size. Right now I give her enough pellets to fit the size of her head daily with a few tiny bits of lettuce. I've offered her feeder fish for the protein but she hasn't been interested. I think I might go to the local pet store and get her a minnow today.

I'm a little stand-offish about leaving the minnow in the tank with her. I know eventually she'll probably eat her but I know people don't usually feed their feeder fish and I don't know if I can just leave the minnow in the tank with no food. (Can you tell I'm a fish owner? Haha.)

We only have a tiny pet store here in town and then about twenty minutes away in another town we have a Petco. Does Petco carry the foods that you've listed for the hatchling you're carrying for? I'm pretty sure our local pet store doesn't.

How exactly do you feed the worms, crickets, and snails to your baby?

Thanks for helping me out, btw. I want to take care of Veronica to the best of my ability and until recently I thought her diet was fine for a hatchling but I guess she needs a bit more which I'll gladly give her. :)
buffyfan9005

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:09 pm   

Besides just offering lettuce, vary the veggies in her diet as well just like the variey of live foods she can get. Sometimes if they get used to one thing, it is hard to get them to try other things.
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:27 pm   

My next veggie attempt will be carrots. I've offered those before but she's ignored them like she used to ignore the lettuce.

From what I understand protein is more important for her right now than veggies so should I still offer veggies on a daily basis?
buffyfan9005

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:41 pm   

Yes, offer it even if she's not interested.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:05 pm   

She's quite interested in the lettuce and will eat it as quickly as she goes for the pellets. :)
buffyfan9005

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:46 pm   

Buffyfan, you might consider trying the SF Bay Aquatic Turtle Diet I mentioned above. Not as a staple, as a supplement. You can get a blister pack of 40 frozen cubes at Petsmart :(where I get mine) It has plant matter, but a fishy smell. My baby loves it (but has no interest in lettuce or carrots alone). I quarter one cube at a time and keep it in a small separate plastic bag in the freezer. I'll give a quarter cube along with whatever else I'm feeding. One warning--it is messy, however, so if you don't have a good filter, feeding in a separate container would be good if you give more than that quarter cube at a time.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:41 pm   

I went by Petsmart a couple of days ago and got Veronica some shrimp but I didn't seen the SF Bay Aquatic Turtle Diet you mentioned. At least I don't think it was sitting with the turtle foods. I might have overlooked it...there was a little box of liquid packets I believe. Are those what you're talking about? Are they sold on the shelves and then taken home and frozen?
buffyfan9005

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:03 pm   

No, the SF Bay Aquatic Food is in the freezer with other frozen foods. It's a blister pack of 40 frozen cubes that you keep in your freezer and use as needed. I think I mentioned that I quarter a cube at a time and keep the pieces in a little plastic bag, then I put a piece in the tank when I want to vary the diet.

The product isn't cheap, $4.29 for the pack I think. But if you cut up the pieces it can last a while. And I just received a flyer from Petsmart saying that reptile food is on sale and has been (slightly) discounted. Maybe it's the same at the one you go to...
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:29 pm   

$4.29 doesn't really sound expensive. I'll definitely look for it the next time I'm in the city.
buffyfan9005

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:53 pm   

Some people would think that's expensive, that's why I put in the warning (but it really doesn't sound that bad to me either). :)
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:22 pm   hey

I totally agree with you.People just like arguing for no reason on here.I get told that my turtle will day,like almost every time I post,and they just don't want to understand,that maybe I can't afford something right this second,but eventually I still get it.Even when I need moneyless advise,I get attacked.Can't we just all be friendly?
vieniebebe

Previous

Return to Feeding and Nutrition