Feeding and Nutrition :: Baby sleeps too much, won't eat.

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:45 am   Baby sleeps too much, won't eat.

Hi,

I got two baby red eared sliders about a week ago and set them up in a mini Critter Keeper, probably has about one gallon of water in it. It's maybe 18" long and 6" wide, water height about 2" tall. I cleaned up a nice, flat but slightly elevated rock from outside and placed it inside and it was just the right height to allow 2/3 the surface clear of water and dry for basking. Since it's winter now the house is chilly, thus the water is chilly, so I focused a reading lamp ontop of the rock, probably 4"-6" away. It's warmed it up a bit. Nearly but maybe not quite as warm as the 40 gal. with a heater in it where Speck resides. I was planning on moving the two in with Speck but I would lose them in that huge tank, so I figured I'd wait a couple months, get a schedule of eating and such. I haven't picked names right now, so I'll just refer to them as 1 and 2. :P

So, Turtle 1 has adjusted well. He basks for 50% of the day, and swims for the other half. I feed him daily inside the main tank, which yes, does cause a mess that I completely wash out and refill every other day. I feed him Tetra ReptoMin pellets, except since they're fairly long I'll break each pellet into fourths and I feed him maybe 12 a day, which he doesn't eat all but he does swim to it and start eating after staring and contemplating it for half a minute or so. He appears to be doing fine.

Turtle 2 is my main concern. He is only slightly smaller, and I mean slightly. Maybe by a millimeter. Anyways he seemed fine the first few days, in fact he seemed better than Turtle 1. Neither ate for those first few days but Turtle 1 started eating later on. I would put the food in separate corners and Turtle 1 will eat his, but Turtle 2 never gives it a second thought. I left him in a separate tank for an hour with water from the 40gal. tank with 8 1/4pellets but came back and he hadn't eaten them. Lately he has been spending all his time on the rock. In the morning, hours before I turn the light on at 10am he will be on the rock. He is on the rock after I turn it off at 10pm as well. He will not move if I get close, eveb intentionally try to spook him, as Turtle 1 jumps off his back immediately. Turtle 2's eyes seem like they are always closed. They are always closed when he basks, as the rest of his limbs are tucked into his shell. I pick him up and put him in the water several times a day and he keeps them shut for another 20 seconds. He has been floating as well. I used to be able to push him to the bottom but today all he will do is float, which I believe is lack of food. He is definately alive right now, but just barely.

Not quite sure what to do here. Please respond ASAP.

Thanks,
Peat
Proud owner of Speck, 2yr. old Red Eared Slider
Peat-a-peat

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:52 am   Re: Baby sleeps too much, won't eat.

Take turtle #2 in your hands and play with him until he opens his eyes then put him in a desperate container with some freeze dried shrimp. See if that won't do the trick. I just went through this myself with my babies. Good luck.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:02 am   Re: Baby sleeps too much, won't eat.

I got them December 4th. They were close to the same size. The small one sleeps on the dock pretty much all day. It eats well so I'm not concerned. This picture was taken today. I can't believe the size difference.

1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:59 pm   Re: Baby sleeps too much, won't eat.

Kansasslider wrote:Take turtle #2 in your hands and play with him until he opens his eyes then put him in a desperate container with some freeze dried shrimp. See if that won't do the trick. I just went through this myself with my babies. Good luck.

Alright. I'll see if I can get some today. For how long and how often should I leave him there?
Peat-a-peat

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:02 pm   Re: Baby sleeps too much, won't eat.

Kansasslider wrote:I got them December 4th. They were close to the same size. The small one sleeps on the dock pretty much all day. It eats well so I'm not concerned. This picture was taken today. I can't believe the size difference.

Wow. . . Two months did that? Goodness.

They look cute! Thank you for the pic!
Peat-a-peat

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:40 pm   Re: Baby sleeps too much, won't eat.

I would try the shrimp once a day leave it undisturbed for 15 min and see what happens. If it starts eating then you could leave it alone for30 min. Hatchlings also like freeze dried blood worms.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:06 pm   Re: Baby sleeps too much, won't eat.

12 ReptoMin might be a bit too much. I'd take out Turtle 1 to feed Turtle 2 but I'd also try some live prey, maybe some small minnows. Hold it by the tail so he can easily get it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:12 pm   Re: Baby sleeps too much, won't eat.

Kansasslider wrote:I would try the shrimp once a day leave it undisturbed for 15 min and see what happens. If it starts eating then you could leave it alone for30 min. Hatchlings also like freeze dried blood worms.

Alright, I'll try that. Thanks.
Peat-a-peat

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:15 pm   Re: Baby sleeps too much, won't eat.

steve wrote:12 ReptoMin might be a bit too much. I'd take out Turtle 1 to feed Turtle 2 but I'd also try some live prey, maybe some small minnows. Hold it by the tail so he can easily get it.

Well, that's 12 ReptoMin as in the pellet is torn into 4ths, so it's really only three real pellets. Or is this what you meant?

Wow, I didn't know babies ate live prey. I'm not sure where I can get live prey. I used to get frozen mealworms for my skink, they would sit and thaw and start moving and I'd feed him with tongs. Would that work?
Peat-a-peat

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:19 pm   Re: Baby sleeps too much, won't eat.

Sorry, I misread it as 12 whole pellets. You can try the worms, or even live earthworms. For guppies or minnows, most pet stores/aquariums will have them.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:37 pm   Re: Baby sleeps too much, won't eat.

No disrespect Steve but I'm telling you try freeze dried shrimp. Have not found a turtle that Won't eat them.My first 2turtles didn't start chasing live food for about 6months after I got them.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:48 pm   Re: Baby sleeps too much, won't eat.

Ok thanks guys. I think because he is just a baby I'm going to not risk buying a guppy or a cup of worms just yet, but I will if he won't eat the shrimp.

So I think I'll try to pick up some shrimp ASAP. . . Does this come in a cup at Petco or something?

Thank you steve and kansasslider!
Peat-a-peat

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:29 am   Re: Baby sleeps too much, won't eat.

So I went to the store and didn't see any freeze dried shrimp. There was a container with a mix of worms, shrimp, and pellets, and a Can O' Shrimp, but nothing just plain "freeze dried shrimp", so I went with freeze dried bloodworms and mixed them into all three turtles' food tonight. Speck ate everything given, Turtle 1 had about half including at least one bloodworm, but despite leaving him along for a solid hour with just pellets and bloodworm, Turtle 2 never ate. What now? :(
Peat-a-peat

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:30 am   Re: Baby sleeps too much, won't eat.

I would still try shrimp. They are Zoo Med Red Shrimp. Not sure if the ones in the can are the same. I say just keep at it. You can also try zoo med Hatchling formula pellets. Hope it eats real soon. I bought them both at Petco.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:35 am   Re: Baby sleeps too much, won't eat.

I have nothing against the shrimp to entice eating. Peat, it might be labeled as gammarus.

At this point I'd separate Turtle 2 and bump up his water temps. I'd still try the minnows but other things you might have on hand are boiled egg whites and canned tuna. Are his eyes open?
steve
Site Admin

Next

Return to Feeding and Nutrition