Feeding and Nutrition :: Question on feeding 1 year old terrapins

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:16 am   Question on feeding 1 year old terrapins

Hi guys,

I would like to confirm if I am feeding the right kind of food for my terrapins.

Currently, I am feeding them lettuce in the morning everyday and pallets once every 2 days at night.

Can I check if I am underfeeding them? This is because they look hungrier then usual.

Also, I am cultivating duckweed for the terrapins. I am using water from the terrapin tank to cultivate the duckweed but they seem to be growing slowly. I thinking of using organic fertlizers to speed up the growth. Do you think the use of fertilizers will be harmful to the terrapins when they consume the duckweed?
eggster

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:40 pm   Re: Question on feeding 1 year old terrapins

You can do pellets every day, just limit the amount. How much lettuce are you using? I'm not sure about the fertilizers, are they getting enough light?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:47 am   Re: Question on feeding 1 year old terrapins

I am following the standard guide of using their head to gauge the amount of lettuce to give. i do notice they do not quite like lettuce as they take a really long time to finish it while they gobble up the pallets in quickly

As for the duckweed, yes, they are getting quite a good amount of sun light. I live in Singapore which get sun light everyday. I am thinking the water might not contain enough nitrites as i do have biomedia in the filter which breaks down the nitrites
eggster

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:41 am   Re: Question on feeding 1 year old terrapins

What if you average it out to 1/3 head size a day? How much lettuce are you using?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:35 pm   Re: Question on feeding 1 year old terrapins

Duckweed can use the nitrates in the water. I grow duckweed using the tank water, so it's all enclosed. It definitely goes through periods where it is growing incredibly fast and others when it is slow.

I know the wild duckweed I see in ponds here seems to hardly grow and then explodes. I think it is temperature related, but it could be sun.

Duckweed needs very still water. I don't think you will harm anything by adding fertilizer. However, I'd float any duckweed you harvest in a bucket of tank water to help dilute any residual fertilizer before feeding.

What are you using to grow the duckweed in?
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:53 pm   Re: Question on feeding 1 year old terrapins

I would recommend you to feed less pellets and offer small amounts of lettuce bit by bit.
1 RES Evergreen
1 Razorback Musk Acorn
1 Common Musk Charcoal ( Rest In Peace :cry:)
1 Red-Bellied Turtle Hermes
mythicalpet

Return to Feeding and Nutrition