Feeding and Nutrition :: Shrimp Pellets ?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:13 am   Shrimp Pellets ?

[code][/code]Hi guys,

Forgive me if this has been covered and I missed it, but I wanted to ask about shrimp pellets in the diet of my two RES. I have nearly a whole can of Wardley Shrimp Pellets left over from when I was keeping a couple crawfish and wanted to know if it was alright to feed them to Blue and Straw ? When they were dropped off at my house I had no food for them at all and the next day my wife was going to bring home some food after work. Before mid-morning, though, they were nipping at the excess silicone in the tank and appeared to be starving (I'm very aware of the typical "begging" behavior). Anyway, I remembered that I had the shrimp pellets and they weren't very old so I gave the little gals some. Needless to say they went completely nuts for the stuff and I proceeded to feed them approximately the normal amount of food for a meal. Having been raised strictly on Reptomin sticks, they have adapted quite well to a gradually varying diet and I was hoping to incorporate the shrimp pellets as a treat. I know they love the stuff and I also hate for things to go to waste so I'd rather not just throw it away. If it is not recommended even as a treat then I will discontinue, but was hoping it was alright. Below are a couple pics of the exact can so that you know just which product I am referring to. And FYI, I used the large text because in the preview pane it was very difficult to read the text with the pictures below (or at least it was for me). Thanks in advance,

Phil

pmkls1

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:05 pm   Re: Shrimp Pellets ?

Those are for shrimp or contain shrimp? Either way, a small amount should be OK but I would look at getting better pellets as soon as you can. Are your RES eating veggies yet?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:55 pm   Re: Shrimp Pellets ?

They contain shrimp. They are sinking pellets for carnivorous fish and bottom feeders. I had a couple crawfish for a while in my tadpole tank and I bought the shrimp pellets to supplement the spirulina wafers that I fed them and the tadpoles. I have the standard Reptomin sticks now and fresh veggies as well. The first day I had the turtles I used the pellets as an emergency food as it was the only thing I had that they could eat. It's just the turtles go crazy for these pellets so I wanted to keep them around as a treat for them on occasion. I don't think they were ever fed fresh veggies before, but they have taken to them very well. So far they gobble up carrots and green leaf lettuce just fine.
pmkls1

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:02 pm   Re: Shrimp Pellets ?

I don't see why these wouldn't be ok as a treat. I have reptomin pellets for Phil and it has four compartments.. two are the standard pellets one is shrimp and one is Krill.. I have since learned there are better quality pellets we can feed our turtles, but I am gonna finish this container first. My point is, it is food for small turtles, so shrimp should be ok.. I don't feed shrimp every day.. maybe a couple times a week.. as variety..

I am learning the more variety they get used to the better for them. So I try to introduce new things often so he don't get stuck on just one kind of food. Today he got tomato for the first time.. OMG he loved that.. lol
Midland Painted--Philbert--SIP :(
1-2 1/4" Mississippi Map Turtle(Male)--Atlas
1-2 1/2" Western Painted Turtle (male)--Titan
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:54 pm   Re: Shrimp Pellets ?

I definitely planned it to be a random treat as I knew it didn't have any nutritional value other than a second source of protein. I now have a fairly varied diet for them and just need to introduce some different veggies and fruits that are acceptable.
pmkls1

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:46 pm   Re: Shrimp Pellets ?

Have you tried feeder fish yet? Today we went to petsmart and got Phil one Rosy Red Minnow. Hubby wanted to let the poor thing acclimate to tank temperature. I said that fish ain't gonna last out the day I bet. We put him in the tank wasn't five minutes and Phil had it in his mouth. I personally can't watch one animal kill another so I walked away..lol but lets just say the fish didn't last long. Needless to say Phil hasn't been begging for food all afternoon.. I think he's full..:)
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:25 pm   Re: Shrimp Pellets ?

No feeder fish yet. There's not too many pet stores in my direct vicinity so I haven't ventured out far enough to get any just yet. I'm not bothered by the whole eating other animal thing, but when I kept and bred African Cichlids they ate each other lol.
pmkls1

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:31 pm   Re: Shrimp Pellets ?

getting soft in my old age..just went out yesterday and saved a Vole from the cat. Couldn't stand watching the cat play with it and toss it around.. Probably be sorry in the spring.. But it is what it is.. lol
Logically I know its good for Phil to use his natural instincts to find his food,, but I can't help feeling sorry for the fish.. Glad its time was short.. Phil didn't play around that's for sure..
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Return to Feeding and Nutrition