Feeding and Nutrition :: Not eating all his lettuce

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:00 pm   Not eating all his lettuce

For about a month now Tinky has stopped eating all of his lettuce. Is this normal? He only really likes red leaf lettuce and use to eat the whole leaf I would put in there for him daily. Then lately I would come home and the "vein" of the leaf would still be in his tank after all day, where as before it would all be gone (even the vein). Now, within the past 2 weeks, I come home and there are still whole pieces of lettuce left in his tank.

I've switched up this week and gave him some romain leaves, and had the same results of there still being leaves left in the tank at the end of the day.

He doesn't have a problem with eating, cause he gobbles up his pellets (which I seem to be giving him more often cause I don't want him to starve). He also has no problem eating up blueberries, grapes or cherries that I give him as treats.

Do you just think he's spoiled? I put the lettuce in there every morning and he looks at me like "what else?" Lol and I feel bad, so I'll give him some pellets. Should I use tough love and only give him lettuce? Do you think that will "force" him to eat the whole thing knowing that's all he's going to get? (I don't want him to starve.... Or to eat the fish's food)

Tinky is almost 4 yrs old. I only feed him once a day, in the morning. I only occasionally will give him a treat (usually fruit) in the evenings. He's in a 75 gallon tank that he shares with 4 rosey minnows that have been in there for months that he has yet to eat.
Tinky'sMom

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:08 am   Re: Not eating all his lettuce

In my opinion, this is pretty normal, especially during the winter months. I'd still keep offering him some (use less if you'd like) and just remove it after a day or two. A veggie clip can also help, but you won't really need it since this is probably temporary.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition