Feeding and Nutrition :: When can I start offering guppies? (RES)

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:17 pm   When can I start offering guppies? (RES)

I've had the little guy for about 5 months now.. He was about the size of a quarter when I got him, but now he is almost twice that. Based on what I've read on these forms, I think I am overfeeding him a bit and also keeping his water a bit warmer then recommended (80°)... So that explains his growth..

But my big question, is whether or not he is read to be introduced to guppies?

Also how many? Should I offer? Was thinking maybe 5-10 or so small ones every 2 weeks spilt over Sat/Sun.
Radie

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:22 am   Re: When can I start offering guppies? (RES)

You can offer it any time but just keep an eye on the quantity. Most of us don't use live prey (anymore).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:26 pm   Re: When can I start offering guppies? (RES)

I went on and spent 4 dollars each for fancy tail guppies to get quality all while providing a attractive fish for their large display tank. These fancy tails are breeding like mad and it resulted in so many babies that I literally gave away so many for free. None of my turtles will even consider on eating them I found out and they are spoiled on their dry foods and thawed out blood worms at the moment. I not only bought them to produce to feed the turtles, but thought outside the box a bit on my outdoor pond plans. True guppies are known for feeding on larva which is well needed in outdoor areas in florida and they do a great job feeding on left overs and waste at the bottom of their encloses therefor keeping the set ups cleaner.

I got laughed at by the pet store staff recently when I told them that my turtles won't eat the guppies that I bought for them. They said every week there is always 1 or 2 people coming in being mad saying that there " turtle ate their fish" yet I go in and complain that " My turtles are so spoiled that they will not eat the fish even when I spend 4 dollars for each fancy tail guppy". They all laughed at me over this.

I am sure they will eat some overtime, and once I get my outdoor pond complete, the guppies will serve as tank cleaners as well as food.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Return to Feeding and Nutrition