Feeding and Nutrition :: Turtle is eating his filter???

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:09 am   Turtle is eating his filter???

Okay,so I've had my slider for about three or four years. He was found as a baby (about the size of a quarter)by a family friend on the sidewalk outside of her work. So from the time I got him until this past December, I had just been cleaning his tank as normal once a week(Not the easiest to do with a 50 gallon aquarium(I know it needs to be bigger but I don't have the space at the moment)). So in December we got a filtration system for him (tetra reptpfilter for frogs newts and turtles). It has don't wonders for us and him. Well he has always had this thing about moving stuff around in his tank(rocks ect.) Well he kept knocking off the lid of. I eventually just took it off, thinking g it wasn't a big deal. Well I came home about a week or so ago and found that he had eaten the filter. I cleaned his tank got all of the pellets out, and replaced the filter. I watched home for a couple days really closely just to brute he wouldn't have soke bad reaction. Well I came home today, and he chewed through the top half of this one. I don't know why he's doing this, and if he's going to be okay because he is eating it? Has anybody else had this problem?
vdavis216

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:44 am   Re: Turtle is eating his filter???

They will try to eat almost anything they can, which is why gravel is a bad substrate for them. Either find a way to safely secure it or opt for a different one.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition