Feeding and Nutrition :: My Little Mess Maker - Veggies and Vitamins?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:57 pm   My Little Mess Maker - Veggies and Vitamins?

Hi all, things have been going great with my new little yellow bellied slider Rio thanks to the great advice from others on the forum. I have learned SO much and I am so grateful to those that have kindly taken time to answer my past questions. :) I now have a couple more questions about things that have been stressing me out lately and I hope to hear your awesome advice once more...

I have been trying to feed Rio little chunks of cuttelbone SOAKED in tuna juice from the can, but he still won't touch it. I think I am going to buy the powdered calcium instead without the D3 and see if he will eat food coated in that. Should I be stressing very much about the extra calcium in his diet, or should he be getting enough with what he eats right now? His daily feeding includes 3 adult Reptomin floating sticks, 1 -2 pieces of dried shrimp, and red leaf lettuce that stays in his tank all day for him to munch on in between daily feedings. He also has six fish in there as back up.

BUT ALSO my biggest issue that I've stumbled upon recently is the issue of vegetables. Rio LOVES red leaf lettuce and I was very happy that he is eating it early on. I am currently feeding him the red leaf lettuce, but he makes SUCH A MESS in his tank. There are pieces of lettuce everywhere floating in his tank and I've had to spend 30 minutes each day scooping them out of the tank so they don't clog up my filter. Other than feeding him outside of his tank (I have tried this a few times and he simply doesn't eat because he is too stressed after being taken out), what else could I do to minimize the mess that is made from the lettuce? I started out with large leaves of lettuce in the tank, but after the messes every day, I just now put a much smaller piece to see if that helps reduce it...

Thank you!

Some pics! :D

Jen1004

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:33 am   Re: My Little Mess Maker - Veggies and Vitamins?

Try a veggie clip (a plastic clip with a suction cup... goes for around $2-3). That way he can just nibble his lettuce when he wants too. Great pics too!

Edit: I see you're using a binder clip. He's still taking veggies from it? If he's not eating it all, I would just try with a smaller amount.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:13 pm   Re: My Little Mess Maker - Veggies and Vitamins?

Thanks! I figured a smaller amount would make less of a mess, but I almost feel bad for Rio because he loved ripping it apart and actually making the mess. Lol. But mommy needs her sanity as well.
Jen1004

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:26 pm   Re: My Little Mess Maker - Veggies and Vitamins?

Yes, but needs to eat some of it :D
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition