Feeding and Nutrition :: Aquatic Plants?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:28 am   Aquatic Plants?

Just a quick question - my RES's main diet is red leaf or green leaf lettuce ReptoMin Pro, and the occasional bloodworm cube/kale/veggie i'm chopping up anyway.
I'd like to get some aquatic plants to feed her - are there any that are commercially available that I could live plant in my other aquariums and harvest once in awhile to feed her?
bmm1001

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:31 am   Re: Aquatic Plants?

I think duckweed and water hyacinth are the most popular choices. There are a few planted tank keepers, you might want to visit their threads for some ideas.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:09 am   Re: Aquatic Plants?

Look here for types. Page two has aquatic plants listed: http://www.redearslider.com/plants.html

I would go broke if I had to buy at pet shop. Have a 70 tub on breezeway and grow my own plants. I look in city parks, creeks, rivers, anywhere in the wild from that list. I wash them well then quarantine them outside. Hornwort , hyacinth, anacharis , to me grows the fastest. Depending on what part of country from you may have to get a starter plant from LPS or online. Say like anacharis I found the cutting's you make like to be at least 5" long each , they take off better at that size. One 15" long bunch gives you three bunches now. Get it going first, keep making cutting's as new starter plants , once you have control your RES has his treat. I have hyacinth and hornwort in another old storage container (type that slide under a bed) these are floating plants , would block light for any rooted plants. Anacharis does not need to be rooted floating it grows well also , but rooting it gives you a base plant mother plant to keep going. I also keep my setup as natural lots' of plants in with my RES , the Hornwort is the best to stay ahead of him. It's a wild Hornwort stiffer than that flimsy store type and is no problem for a RES baby or adult. Start small it works. Do your homework some plants are better at helping to clean water like hyacinth and hornwort , others for food supply. A few city's use aquatic plants to help pre filter there water supply. Turtles are messy eaters so you if kept in tank will have to clean up some small pieces of plants just be careful if you have frogbit it reproduces by very small rosettes do not throw them away. May look like trash but are your new babies.
litefoot

Return to Feeding and Nutrition