Feeding and Nutrition :: How do I feed my RES???

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:38 am   How do I feed my RES???

Hi, first time RES owner, I combed through the basic care and nutrition sections on the website but haven't seen what I am looking for.

I have tried giving my RES kale, lettuce, bell pepper, tomato, carrot, apple, cantaloupe to no avail. No one bite since I got him two weeks ago. I think it might have to do with the water temperature and I have a water heater coming in the mail soon, as well as reptomin pellets(I work/live at the US embassy in Afghanistan so I have to do mail order).
The only thing he will eat is freeze dried shrimp, but over the last couple days he hasn't had one of those either. My questions are:

1) How often should he be eating? Protein? Veggies? pellets? As in how much is a good amount and how often throughout the day/week?
2) How do I entice him to eat the veggies? i saw mention of a veggie clip in another post so I ordered one but is there anything else that helps?
3) After how many days without eating should I really start to worry and what should I do if vet care is not an option?
4) Feeding tank, yes or no? Is it worth it? I keep the tank clean and remove food he doesn't eat after a couple hours, is a separate feeding tank necessary?
5) *Non-food related question*, the backdrop I chose to put on the back of his tank is a forest and he spends a lot of time trying to swim INTO it(through the glass), is that okay? Or should I choose a different background?

Any responses are appreciated!
Sangposht

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:41 pm   Re: How do I feed my RES???

He / she may still be acclimating to new home. Some turtles may take several weeks to adjust. Make sure it has a hiding place you don't want it stressed out all the time. He/she will come around , some sooner than others. Keep offering food he/she will take it in time just offer less and remove what's not eaten.

Did you see this : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5

Also good reading : http://www.redearslider.com/index.html

Feeding list some user's : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11684

If you have a real small tank for it you may want to feed in bowl keeps tank cleaner. Also let it poop in bowl to. They normally poop after they eat.

Turtles in nature do not have glass ponds. They cover a large area. In captivity he may think he's swimming to China just taking a long time. Just think of it as it's own exercise pool. That's normal in glass tanks. I use black Rubbermaid structural foam stock tanks the kind for livestock. Cheaper than glass and more like the edge of a natural pond. I don't see all that frantic swimming action as in a glass tank. This is my OPINION others have there's. Look at different picture of setups some go very bare others like me make it as natural as I can with plenty of hiding spots if he want to use. Piggley only hid from me for a couple of days and has never hid to this day. And some turtles NEVER warm up to people.

Takes a lot of homework for RES's , good luck ! Welcome to the forum.
Last edited by litefoot on Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:31 am   Re: How do I feed my RES???

Thank you! Great links!
The reptomin came and he seems to find it acceptable so hopefully that will keep him healthy until he starts eating more veggies.
Sangposht

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:27 am   Re: How do I feed my RES???

Welcome to the forum Sangposht! How big/old is your RES?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition