Feeding and Nutrition :: Feeding tips for a recovering slider

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:23 pm   Feeding tips for a recovering slider

Hi,

I recently rescued a sick red eared slider (juvenile). It was listing, had swollen eyes, kept making bubbling sounds. Took it to the vet and found out it had pneumonia. I'm giving it antibiotic shots every three days, and it's recovering fairly well. That's not the real problem I want to address.

Although the turtle is not going to die, it's still pretty weak. It has very little meat on its bones and no fat stores. [The good news is that it does not have metabolic bone disease.] In this case, what food should I give it? I'm inclined to feed it slightly more protein than the recommended 50% protein - 50% vegetables combo. Right now it happily accepts dried krill and ReptoMin pellets, and is starting to eat romaine lettuce. Any recommendation on its diets during recovery?
unknown

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:16 pm   Re: Feeding tips for a recovering slider

I would feed it anything it's willing to eat for awhile. I would also keep temperature around 80*. Helps stimulate the immune system of reptiles. Steady warmth should be provided 24hr's a day and night seven days a week until it recovers and at least a week after they appear OK.
NOTE : "Ask your Vet" if Pedialyte soaks 50/50 with warm water will help at this stage or "wait" until it's a little better , just another way to get nutrition in.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:56 pm   Re: Feeding tips for a recovering slider

Try to look at Omega 1 for good pellets, but like litefoot mentions the main thing is that he's eating. Do be restrained and do not overfeed him to "make up" for lost feedings.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition