Feeding and Nutrition :: A worms diet

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:03 am   A worms diet

I was wondering if I should be cautious about what I feed the earthworms I give my turtle? Like I read that coffee grinds are good food sources for worms, but since coffee is toxic to turtles would feeding them coffee make the worms toxic as well? And if so, should I also avoid other not-turtle-friendly foods like spinach?
Squirt's Owner

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:24 am   Re: A worms diet

I would be more worried about where the worms came from , the back yard or fishing store , bait shop , Walmart ? Pesticides in your yard do not break down safely and store worms are not controlled any so what's in that farm raised worm ? If you are trying to breed worms the "natural" tree litter works in the wild so why not for the ones you keep for the turtle ! Yes I have seen coffee ground used for worms but why and what they are using the worms for , garden plants ? Coffee grounds in a mulch bin for more worms is great. Never seen a coffee shop in the wild woods. Your yellow belly , Squirt , should be big enough to be on mostly veggies away by now ? Natural foods native to sliders. Be careful. Coffee ground's are very bad for some pets not sure for turtles BUT why take a chance !

What happens to coffee when roasted ? This is called the Millard Reaction , if you understand please tell me !

Spinach is a "NO" has brassica and chenopodiacea groups in it , High risk food for turtles !
Attachments
coffee.jpg
COFFEE break down when roasted...
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:10 pm   Re: A worms diet

I bought the worms from the pet store, so I'd assume that they don't have pesticides in them. He is on a mostly veggie diet but I read that worms were high in calcium, I've had them for a while but they're starting to look sad and skinny so I wanted to see if there was anything I could feed them to keep the alive longer, but maybe I oughta just toss them out if they're looking so bad?
Squirt's Owner

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:22 pm   Re: A worms diet

Buying , you don't need that many at one time even in a week. A little lite soapy water in the garden or safe area and the worms pop out the ground , no digging. That's if that ground has any. Mostly by rotten leaves you can find them. Works for me.
litefoot

Return to Feeding and Nutrition