Feeding and Nutrition :: Veggie strike help? Baby Snapping Turtle

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:23 pm   Re: Veggie strike help? Baby Snapping Turtle

It's the third day for him in his tub, and I'm happy to say that he has eaten for the first time! The pellets anyway, still hasn't touched the basil leaves/lettuce I've picked from my garden. Also is it normal for him to go to sleep before dark? Usually he's gone to sleep at around 9, but this time he went to sleep at 7 pm, note that I did let him walk around in a bigger bin outside because it was warmer and he ran around a lot, could that have led to his early bedtime?
ScorchedDragon

Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:16 am   Re: Veggie strike help? Baby Snapping Turtle

Niiice !
Babies are a lot more carnivorous, don't worry too much about the veggies. But you can look up some methods to entice eating, it's always nice for your pets to eat different things. I wouldn't worry about his sleeping schedule either.
PokePony

Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:21 pm   Re: Veggie strike help? Baby Snapping Turtle

So he's been eating when offered, but how many reptomin pellets should I feed him each feeding? Also he snapped at a smoothed pointed rock three times as if trying to eat it, though it was easily the same size as his entire body, why might this be?
ScorchedDragon

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:10 am   Re: Veggie strike help? Baby Snapping Turtle

I'd feed maybe 2/3 the size of his head. As for the snapping, turtles in captivity try to bite/eat everything.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:51 pm   Re: Veggie strike help? Baby Snapping Turtle

So, the little guy seems to love the pellets, when they aren't soaking water anyway, once they do, he loses all interest and waits until a dry one is placed. I attempted to feed him the shrimp, but this has resulted in him getting frustrated with the shell he is unable to break, and ever since he has torn up any shrimp I offer without eating it, pellets however, still snapping up. Is there any way to quell this hate against shrimp?
ScorchedDragon

Post Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:17 am   Re: Veggie strike help? Baby Snapping Turtle

What kind of shrimp are you using? How often are you giving it to him? You can remove the shell for him for now, it should still be a rare treat.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:03 pm   Re: Veggie strike help? Baby Snapping Turtle

I believe it was gourmet river shrimp I got from petco with the pellets. I rarely give it to him now, how could I get him to be less picky with the pellets?
ScorchedDragon

Post Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:06 pm   Re: Veggie strike help? Baby Snapping Turtle

The pellets are Reptomin baby size.
ScorchedDragon

Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:52 pm   Re: Veggie strike help? Baby Snapping Turtle

Hi , next time you open a can of tuna fish with "water" not the oil type soak the pellets in that water a little may entice him more from the smell. As Steve said shrimp are more for treats and rarely used. Being a baby on the shrimp you may want to pop the heads off to , they have a sharp point on a shrimps head. Being turtles eat like no tomorrow a baby may get that spine stuck in its mouth , I had that happen back in the 70's.
litefoot

Previous

Return to Feeding and Nutrition