Feeding and Nutrition :: At what age should you feed RES turtles every OTHER day?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:21 pm   At what age should you feed RES turtles every OTHER day?

I have both a 2 month old RES turtle as well as two 3 yr old RES turtles. I have been feeding them everyday, however I know as they get older they should be fed every other day. At about what age should you go from feeding every day to every other or every 3 days? I have a feeling I should be feeding the 3 yr olds every other day at this point but I wanted to double check!
Shells24

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:17 pm   Re: At what age should you feed RES turtles every OTHER day?

Hello and welcome,

This is how I do it. I do not go by age , too many variables like DNA etc. involved . On my turtles once they are 4" in size I skip to every other day or two "Only" on the protein side. But they will get veggies everyday !!! Say a leaf lettuce a piece the size of there shell is good. They should be on 70% or more veggies by this size since there are not a baby growing at a rapid pace. Also when I feed protein I use the head rule or even the 2/3's head rule.

Good read here : http://www.redearslider.com/pellets.html

You may want to feed separate so one does not out compete the other. If small tank to help keep it cleaner longer feed in separate container . Also let them poop there to , normally poop after they eat , helps on maintenance in regular home!
Always better to under feed than over feed to prevent health problems !

A baby and two juveniles , you understand the day is coming for separate tanks .
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:25 am   Re: At what age should you feed RES turtles every OTHER day?

Thank you so much for your time and advice! My two older turtles are in a 125 gallon tank and my little guy is in a 50 gal so they are good there =)
Shells24

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:35 am   Re: At what age should you feed RES turtles every OTHER day?

You can find feeding lists from various members here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11684

It always helps to see how others do it, for inspirations and comparisons :)
PokePony

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:43 am   Re: At what age should you feed RES turtles every OTHER day?

Shells good idea PokePony had on reading some of the list people use. Make sure you read the comments and or suggestions that may go along with some. Not every list some use is as nutritious or varied it could be for a turtle.
litefoot

Return to Feeding and Nutrition