Feeding and Nutrition :: Baby turtle won't eat

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:35 pm   Baby turtle won't eat

Hello I am new at raising baby turtles, my female turtle laid several eggs and one has hatched. It is one week old but he will not eat anything. I have him in a old fish tank with enough water to cover the heater and I put a large rock that is sloped up so he can get on o baske, I don't have a real heating lamp but I have a desk lamp with a halegan light blub. I don't know if this is ok or do I need to buy everything new. My older turtles are out side in a pond.
Ladyberrys

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:20 pm   Re: Baby turtle won't eat

Does he still have his yolk sac? I would make sure that his area is as calm and quiet as possible. Try some earth worms or feeder fish to entice him, even if you have to hold it for him. Do you know what the water temp is?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:16 am   Re: Baby turtle won't eat

His yolk sacks almost gone the water temp is room temp. Oh and I have six more eggs that have not hatched yet.they are over due by nine days.some of them are caved in will they still hatch?
Ladyberrys

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:24 am   Re: Baby turtle won't eat

If they caved in, they are likely not viable. I guess keep an eye on it and discard any that are starting to rot. What's room temp? Usually 78-80F is good for hatchlings, but it's important to be steady and consistent with it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:33 pm   Re: Baby turtle won't eat

Water temp. Is 76% He is in a room that is not used every much, just a walk through, maybe I could find another place for him. I am sendin a photo of the set up I have, so you can see if it is ok . Oh I don't see a place to up upload a photo.
Ladyberrys

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:03 am   Re: Baby turtle won't eat

full editor -> upload attachment

Is he eating regularly?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:19 pm   Re: Baby turtle won't eat

Since I posted I have two more baby turtles hatched, but one has awful big egg sack he can not move around, I put him in some warm water very little so he can move some. I am not sure how to take care of him , just keeping a close watch on him so he don't get cold have him under a heating light. Any suggestions would help.
Ladyberrys

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:51 pm   Re: Baby turtle won't eat

I believe you are supposed to keep it clean and a little damp. I would consult with a local rehabber/rescue and they should be able to get you more info.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition