Feeding and Nutrition :: Compost worms

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:20 pm   Compost worms

Hi.When I got my RES,Nails, he had been fed only catfood for ages,and wasn't even interested in sniffing a dandelion leaf ,lettuce or oxy weed so I tried him on a worm from the compost.He loved it!The compost is purpose fed for my axolotls(carrot,potato,sweet potato peels,banana,apple,eggshell,teabags,some other fruits-not citrus,pumpkin),they are fussy if the worms have certain flavours,lol.What I need to know is are the worms good for Nails too?If they eat the veges he should be eating surely he would get their goodness in the end?He has 5 with each feed.Worms are all my axies ever eat!Nails also eats carrot if it's cut like worms,and a couple of the pellets he's offered.Is that ok?He's 5,and gets fed every second day. I still offer green leaves,he just ignores them.Could I at his age still get him to eat leaves?Sorry this is so long,he has a bad shell so I want to make his diet as good for it's healing as I can.
Pet Collector-1RES (Nails),2 dogs (Wolfgang & Stella),3 cats (Kevin,Sox & Furby),2 axolotl (Boris & Diablo),4 goldfish,3 tadpoles,and 100's of water snails
Apryl

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:03 am   

can u describe his shell more? your setup? (just in case you don't have everything needed) worms are fine as long as theres no pesticides or anything like that... you should really go for variety, maybe let him on a hunger strike till he eats something else like romain lettuce or fruits!
Turtleboy

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:48 am   

His shell is dull brown with flakes coming off in places,and when i pick him up to move him my fingers kinda stick to the sides.Sorry I don't have a photo account anywhere to show you at the mo,will look into that.His tank is 1mtr long,40cm wide,he has about 1/3 full of water,an aquaone filter,heater at 28c,he has access to rocks to bask,and at mo just has a heat lamp.He gets a bit of sunlight,and let to run around the lounge sometimes to dry out.I have been told by a breeder who has seen his shell that lack of light caused it,still,I want to get him as healthy as I can in every respect.
Pet Collector-1RES (Nails),2 dogs (Wolfgang & Stella),3 cats (Kevin,Sox & Furby),2 axolotl (Boris & Diablo),4 goldfish,3 tadpoles,and 100's of water snails
Apryl

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:29 am   

Live prey, feeders, and other high protein foods should be a supplement to a balanced diet. Giving 5 at every feeding is not healthy, especially when he's not eating any veggies. I'd withhold the worms and pellets for a few days only offering the veggies. It will not hurt him to do without a little while until he eats the veggies (turtles in the wild sometimes go for extended periods between feedings).

It is extremely important to get him on a more balanced diet that includes veggies daily. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:15 am   

You can upload photos to photobucket for free. From there you can post pics on this site. I don't know if that helps or not.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:29 pm   

Thanks for the replys,I am on a mission to fix this guys shell,toughlove it is...although I think the tough part will refer to me not him!!!Lol.
So,it's veges for Nails,pellets still offered,and maybe a worm or 2 once a week.

missibsu,thanks,I will sort the pics tonight :)
Apryl

Return to Feeding and Nutrition