Feeding and Nutrition :: Calcium

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:38 pm   

Thanks Jenaero...I saw it at the pet store, I'll go get some this week. How do I give it to them, you said crack it into pieces..my babies ar like 2 inches now...how much shoudl I give them?

ALSO, I buy two guppies to put in the tank with the kids about once every 4 weeks...is that a source of calcium as well? I think that only Kaylee get's the fish because I haven't seen Kobe get excited over anything other than his pellets.
"Live your life with prayer and Faith that God can bring you though anything."

RES 4in - Kaley(M) & Kobie(F)
JuelisKaylee

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:47 pm   

Take off the hard backing (they can't digest that) and you can break it into bite size pieces or just throw a chunk in. If they eat it like they'd eat the pellets, give it to them every couple days. I just leave a chunk floating in the water and mine nibble on it as they need.

Not sure of the calcium content of guppies because they're so small but I know rosey red minnows are a good source. They're larger.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:24 pm   

Ok Cool...I saw those in the pet store, I'll go get some for the kids this week. What about Live fish? Is that ok? and what do they provide other than exercise.

JuelisKaylee

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:38 pm   

Like I said, the rosey reds are good for calcium and they're quick so the turt will get exercise. Stay away from gold fish..too fatty.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:22 pm   

I break a cuttlebone into three or four pieces and haven't been removing the hard backing. Spotty nibbles on it all the time. You can't leave it in the water too long though. After about five days it gets slimy and you have to replace it.

Spot loves those freeze-dried gut-loaded crickets. We put them on his basking platform and he grabs them and pulls them into the water to eat.
SpotsMama
SpotsMama
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:20 pm   

steve wrote:Heather, that is too much. I give my RES maybe 3 pea sized pieces every 2-3 days. They should be getting calcium from other areas of their diet, just think of this as a supplement.

Did you remove the hard backing?

Yes hard backing was removed. I did not give him the entire thing....he just devoured the few pieces I put in there so I know he likes the stuff....which is a good thing. I will give it to him every few days....although he seems to have been starved/neglected before I got him so am wondering if I should give it to him more often, until he gets back on his feet again...so to speak?
Heather
--
1 RES Zeke 17 years (2/1/01)
6 Cats: Mercedes, Tiggles, Mouse, Raven, Smokes, Keekie
2 Dogs: Emmie & Ruby
cprcheetah

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:28 am   

I wouldn't start offering much more food and calcium if he was lacking it before. Gradually increase it to where it would be a normal, varied diet for his age and size. I made that mistake and my male RES has some shell pyramiding because of it which I still regrett.

Cuttlebone should be used as a supplement, he will be getting calcium from veggies, pellets and some prey like minnows.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:23 am   

Ok Thank you very much.

JuelisKaylee

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:39 pm   

I have an eastern painted who loves cuttlebone. He gets 4-5 small pieces of cuttlebone daily. Cuttlebone is not 100% calcium. Calcium is harder than some other vitamins/minerals to absorb and depends on other nutrients in the diet (most commonly Vit D3). I don't think a turtle can OD on cuttlebone and therefore would offer a few head-size pieces daily.

I'd skip the Reptoguards and put the money into something that would really benefit your turtle.

Don't know where you live overseas, but you should be able to find cuttlebone in any store that sells pet supplies, in the bird section.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:39 pm   

I have an eastern painted who loves cuttlebone. He gets 4-5 small pieces of cuttlebone daily. Cuttlebone is not 100% calcium. Calcium is harder than some other vitamins/minerals to absorb and depends on other nutrients in the diet (most commonly Vit D3). I don't think a turtle can OD on cuttlebone and therefore would offer a few head-size pieces daily.

I'd skip the Reptoguards and put the money into something that would really benefit your turtle.

Don't know where you live overseas, but you should be able to find cuttlebone in any store that sells pet supplies, in the bird section.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Previous

Return to Feeding and Nutrition