Feeding and Nutrition :: Food in general

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:17 am   Food in general

My turtles are still real small, but i feed them pellets that are just smaller than peas. However, half the food that goes in, comes out the mouth as well. are there some pellets out there that is for only hatchlings? Also, i dont think my turtles are getting enough calcium. I put a cuddle fish in the tank, but i've only seen them go at it a couple of times. Would a powder work on the food, or would it wash off in the water? Finnaly, when should i start to feed the turtles live crickets, or should they get fish?
Ferd

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:01 am   

Reptomin baby is a good starter pellet. You can use a calcium power that DOES NOT have phosphorus - RepCal produces one. You can moisten the pellet and place it in a baggie with the pellet and shake it. Let it dry a bit, and offer it to your turtle.

There isn't much nutrition in crickets, so they may be good for some exercise. You can try to gut load them, though I've had little success with them. Make sure you buy the small ones because the large ones have harder exoskeletons and are tougher.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:13 am   

I started with the "normal" turtle pellets, and I thought it was too big for him cuz some would just go in & go out the mouth like you said and I wasn't sure if that was because he didn't like it or whatnot. I read that you should try a variety of foods to see which one your turtle likes, so I got the Reptomin baby like steve mentionned, and my turtle loves it!
sQuirtle

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:20 am   

Thanks for the help. I was wondering though.. what should i use for live food? I heard that this is a requirement when they start to age, but i dont know that to use...
"How can we rise up if we have not fallen?"
--------------------------------------------------
\,,\ Edguy /,,/
Ferd

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:22 am   

Live food is not a requirement, and doesn't need to be given at all. If you want to give live prey you can use minnows, rosey reds, or feeder guppies. Gut loaded crickets and earthworms are also ok. Be sure that you aren't overloading protein though, because it can lead to health issues.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Return to Feeding and Nutrition