Equipment Review and Discussion :: Tank Bottom

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:33 pm   Tank Bottom

Where can I get a small about of large river rocks? All I see in stores are enormous bags of them that are meant for like, enitre ponds, I just want a small amount for my tank
1.0.0 RES - Leonardo - 4.75"
Brianthedog18

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:46 pm   

I've bought small bags at places like Walmart (aquarium supply section). More recently I got some at a crafts store (Michaels)--it's more expensive to buy them in smaller bags, but if you don't want to use a lot of rocks (I don't), you can get some interesting looking ones.

One note--if you go to a crafts store, and they sell small bags of river rocks, check the labels. Some are labeled as being OK for aquariums, some say they're not safe for aquariums. I don't know why this is (they look similar), but to be safe I've only bought the aquarium safe ones (and I've rinsed and boiled them before putting them in the tank).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:50 pm   

I got a small bag at Home Depot's garden center. I thought Crafts stores (at least the ones around here) only sell polished rocks, not like rocks you'd find outside.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:37 pm   

If they're aquarium safe, what's wrong with polished rocks? I'm referring to the ones that have been "polished" as in made smooth (and therefore less abrasive), not ones that have a coating on them. :) The ones I bought at Walmart were polished (smooth) as well.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:06 pm   

well, I think I'm doing my river rock shopping at the river. gotta scrimp and save :)
bradhart

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:55 pm   

They have small bags at PetSmart.
Nicole
Hide and Seek are almost 4.5" each
1 Bearded Dragon named Ben :)
kneecole

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:29 pm   

nothing wrong with smooth/polished rocks, but the ones we have in our craft stores aren't that type.. which is all I was saying :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:15 pm   

Well I live up in the mountains and we have rivers and streams but the rocks arent smoth but I like to go down to the river or the sream on our property and get some really cool looking rocks it's (mother natures gift).Then when I get home I put the rocks in a pot and boil them for a while to get rid of bacteria and moss and all that disgusting stuff.Then I put them in the cadge while cleaning it and you know they may not be as smoth but my turtle loves it he hides behind them climbs on them and basKs on them.Well that works for me and my turtle! :D!!Well I guess they can be called RIVER ROCKS!!!
buddys_my_turtle

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion