Equipment Review and Discussion :: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:30 pm   Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

Adam
pkneeyahx
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:42 am   

Thanks!!! this helps sooo much!
I have 8 cats at my house, 1 dog, 1 fish, and 2 RES turtles, what more could I want?
LuvOfTurtles7290

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:36 pm   

A good place to get the xp line is from bigalsonline.com - even with shipping costs added their pricing is excellent.
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:04 pm   

ok, cool :)
I have 8 cats at my house, 1 dog, 1 fish, and 2 RES turtles, what more could I want?
LuvOfTurtles7290

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:20 pm   

I saw this filter but had not heard anything about it. So I went with a Fluval instead. How much do they usually sell for??
tissigirl

Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:41 pm   

Go to www.bigalsonline.com and check under filters to see what they're currently being sold for (About $99, I think, plus extra for media). Bigals is probably the best place to go for filters. The XP3 has become quite popular among turtle keepers.

I have an XP3 as well as the Fluval 4+ (as I think you said you did in another post). There is no comparison between the two of them. Fluval also makes canister filters, however, and these are popular as well.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:06 pm   

:?: Marisa - which one do you like better and why? Im guessing you prefer the fluval.
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:12 pm   

RES Tampa--you were joking? :lol: If not, I'll just say they'e two totally different types of filters. The Fluval 4+ is an internal filter, which takes up room in the tank (this is not the same as the Fluval 404, which is a canister filter like the XP3). The XP3 is much more powerful and efficient; I've never used the canister Fluval (404), but like I said, it is popular with some turtlekeepers. I'm using the 4+ in a 40-gallon tank; I'm using the XP3 in a 110-gallon tank.

That said, I'm looking for a filter to replace the XP3. Most likely it will be a pond filter, since it has to be on the floor next to a stock tank, and canister filters don't work well this way (as the XP3 keeps telling me with the noises it's making). Canister filters work on gravity and have to be a certain distance below the water level to work really well.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:01 pm   

:o Marisa - No I was not joking, just wanted your opinion & sounds like I got it! I have not used the Fluval line at all, I use an xp3 so I was curious to hear about the other brands. Thanks for the info :)
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:10 pm   

And how do you like your XP3? I read somewhere that the XP3 came on the market as a Fluval wanna-be ( for the canister 404); it is relatively new. It seems have gone beyond that, however, since a lot of turtlekeepers rank it above Fluval in terms of ease of use, set-up options, and construction. Time will tell about it's durability. I've read enough complaints about Fluvals so that I don't think I'd buy another one, canister or otherwise, though. But Fluvals do have their supporters. .
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:51 pm   XP3

I purchased an XP3 filter for my 110 gal tank three months ago and I really like it. It does a great job keeping the tank clean and clear and is really easy to disconnect and clean out.
felmel

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:42 pm   

lol, since i only have a 50 gallon right now, i use a fiter that hangs from the side :P
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:10 pm   

I bought and XP3 a little over a month ago for our 90 gallon tank. It's works absolutely great. Easy to clean and keeps the water clean and clear. I got mine at drfostersmith.com for around $99.
Spookster

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:39 pm   

Of all the different media's available for these filter which would you all recommend as madatory for a RES? Are any of these "nice to have" that can be added later in life?
Cat!! Get off the d**m tank! I hope she bites you!
doomsdaybob

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:45 pm   

Essential media for a canister filter: mechanical media (sponges/pads) to remove particles/debris from the water and biomedia (ceramic rings, stars, lava rock, what have you) to allow beneficial bacteria to colonize). Speaking just for the XP3, chemical media like carbon is a nice addition to help absorb impurities/odor (if there is one), but not really necessary. And the microfiltration pads can cause the filter to get clogged up more quickly.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Next

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion