Equipment Review and Discussion :: Rena Filstar XP Series Canister Filters

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:35 pm   

Really Awesome Text Loading...
███████████
▒▒▒▒ 78%

RES's
Tank, SCL 3.75in.
Diesel, SCL 3in.
N4784N R4613

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:02 pm   

http://www.petsmart.com/landing/Rena/?c ... na+filstar

I just found this which might make getting the filter even easier.
Numa

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:45 pm   

Do the XP3 and XP4 come with filter media or do you have to buy it seperately?
2 RES - Butters and Bebe
6 ACFs - Pokey, Pebbles, Bam Bam, Popeye, Oliver, and Polly
2 Algae Eaters - Timmy and Jimmy
ACF&RESLOVER

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:45 pm   

The XP3 I got from BigAlsOnline came with both the coarse and medium foam pads and a bag of biochemzorb (like carbon but better). All you need to buy separately is the biomedia like ceramic rings or stars.
DavidY

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:20 pm   

Thanks.
2 RES - Butters and Bebe
6 ACFs - Pokey, Pebbles, Bam Bam, Popeye, Oliver, and Polly
2 Algae Eaters - Timmy and Jimmy
ACF&RESLOVER

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:26 am   

I recently read somewhere that one of the downsides to the XP3 was the length and flexibility of the hoses. If I got an XP3 for a 75 gallon and filled it half way or a little more, would I have to rig some kind fix, get extra tubing or do anything other than a straight install of the parts I receive.
ACF&RESLOVER

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:33 am   

You have the tank on a stand (or whatever) and the filter will be underneath it? If so, you shouldn't have to do anything than follow the directions on setting it up. The tubing will be more than enough, in fact, if I remember correctly, to get the tubing the correct length, I had to cut a bit of it off and I had the container on a table. It will tell you in the set-up instructions what the length of the tubing should be, and it can vary slightly depending on where you position the filter under the tank.

The filter is the quietest and most efficient when it's 24 inches below the surface of the water. It's better to have more rather than less water in the tank.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:37 am   

Thanks Marisa. It looks like am close to making a decision. I'l probably order my new XP3 Sunday. :wink:
ACF&RESLOVER

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:38 am   

I'm sure you and your turtle will enjoy it. :) A note about the hoses---they can be difficult to get on, and you can it a bit easier to do so if you warm the ends in warm water to make them more flexible (push them on when they're still warm).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:11 pm   

One last question.

I'm going to order it from bigals.

I want to get all the filter media I'll need for awhile (6 media changes at least) to avoid constant shipping charges.

I know the filter comes with some things, but I need to know everything I will need (carbon, stars, filter media etc...)

Is there a list of what it comes with, how much it comes with, and what other things I will need to order to have a good mechanical, biological, and chemical filtration system with plenty of media in reserve.
ACF&RESLOVER

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:59 pm   

I got my XP3 from BigAls too and it came with 2 of the 20pore foam pads and 2 of the 30 pore foam pads and 1 bag of chemzorb. The only thing you need to start running are the bio rings or stars. For the XP3, for each change you will need 2 of each size foam pad (2 x 20 pore & 2 x 30 pore). That takes up one basket. Then you need to replace the chemzorb bag with either carbon or more chemzorb and that fills up the 2nd basket. The bio rings fill the third and only need to be rinsed out, not replaced.
DavidY

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:59 pm   

The mechanical media (foam pad) can last a long time if you're willing to clean them. The bio media never needs replacement under normal circumstances. It's up to you if you want to use the microfiltration pad and the chemzorb that comes with it, though many people choose not use them.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:23 am   

Thanks. You've been very helpful. This forum is a great source of information.
ACF&RESLOVER

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:48 am   

Ooops. I have another question or two. :wink:

Is one liter of ceramic rings enough?

I see that there are ceramic rings and bio-chem stars. It's looks to me like if you get the bio-chem stars you may not need the chem-zorb.

Is that correct?
ACF&RESLOVER

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:43 pm   

The chem stars and the chem-zorb are not really the same thing. I'd pick up at least 2 packages of the ceramic rings - it doesn't need to be the Rena brand, it could also be from Fluval or another manufacturer.
steve
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion