Equipment Review and Discussion :: Submersible Filter

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:20 am   Submersible Filter

Just curious, how big do submersible filters usualy run? I'm thinking of getting one because they are much quieter, allthough I heard that they make a hum.....is it that loud? ( I personally don't like the waterfall sound ). I want to know how big they are and if they're just as effective because I don't want to take up too much space and I also want to make sure the water stays clean. My birthday is coming soon, and this might be a present I ask for lol. So pretty much, 1) How big are they? and 2) Are they still as affective as the ones that attach to the side of the tank? Thanks for the advice!
1.0.0 RES - Leonardo - 4.75"
Brianthedog18

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:04 pm   

I've had experience with the Fluval sumersibles, specifically the Plus series (2+ and 4+). The 4+ says on the box that it's good for up to 57 gallons (but if you want it to be really efficient, you want it rated for quite a bit more than that). It is relatively quiet, but for me a pain to clean compared to the AquaClear and doesn't do nearly as good a job of keeping the tank water clear. I don't know if other brands are rated for larger tanks, but a larger one in size will only take up swimming room.

You couldn't make the AquaClear any quieter with plexiglass? I just got a second AquaClear 110 on Wed. and am in the process of looking for a piece of plexiglass to silicone to the lip before I use it. I want something that has an angle to it so that the water flows down it without any drop into the tank.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion